Canon P Black Paint

Local time
7:06 AM
No. 773451 Anyone here who can confirm that this serial number on my Canon P is a original Black version .. It has bras under the paint.
2c4841826b378062f83f9d1df237a956.jpg
No. 773451
2663e975a92d19cb707a83b507ec72a2.jpg
0804a513686c87146b6999bfd725d122.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the real deal. Real black Canon rangefinders have black painted strap lugs and a white dot on the self timer.

If you're on Facebook, consider joining the Canon Historical Society group. Lot of knowledgable Canon folks there, including Peter Kitchingman. I know Peter has a data base of black Canon P's.

Jim B.

Thanks! Will do... Thats a great tip.. This Canon P has a very different heavy feel and smooth shutter sound compared to another Black P that had Chrome base which felt much more hollow.

I also noted that you have a chrome "pin-face" on the self-timer lever. That was not standard. Black P's had a black pin-face too. My guess is that yours was replaced at some time.

My authentic, black Canon P for comparison.

Black+P2+copy.jpg

Jim B.

Yes your right about the Chrome pin on the self timer.. it also has a rather worn look overall.. Which I don’t mind ;-) Your P look stunning! Thanks again, I Found the fb group. Best regards Christian.

What underlies a black-bodied Canon rangefinder is of some dispute. My black P is brass, I’m told the 7 is brass too. Other earlier Canon’s may be chrome. This topic has been debated on the Canon Historical Society group on FB

Jim B.

I am thinking very hard about getting a Canon P that has been repainted black for around $300. A factory original black would be around $1500-$200 from what I can tell.

The one I saw that I really liked was this one in olive:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-OLIVE...h=item286fe7db89:g:nPoAAOSww7tb68p8:rk:1:pf:0

But at $700 seems a bit steep for a different shade of re-paint.

I could always get a Leica M2 in black :) but my budget says a poor man's Leica M2 is the Canon P.

Or throw caution to the wind and buy this M2 repaint with motor coupling to match my chrome M3-MOT:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M2-B...=item4d84a0d8e2:g:Vl0AAOSwu3ZcDVrZ:rk:13:pf:0

I do need one more LTM body & even though I bought the 35mm F/2 Canon for my IIIf, it would sit nice on a Canon P body. I have a hard time taking the CV 21mm f/4 off the IIf.

No. 773451 Anyone here who can confirm that this serial number on my Canon P is a original Black version.

Hey, You have my old camera :):

42965003665_77d8e91bfe_k.jpg

42030467020_83474f99da_k.jpg

I didn't have it too long, swapped it for another digital camera, but I regret not keeping it.

I wondered at the time about the authenticity of it being an original black version back then. I'm pretty sure that it is, but not necessarily because it's brass underneath. Apart from many aspects being the correct colour (black or silver), all the ones I'm pretty sure were real had "xxx451" serials. Like someone else pointed out here, it's just that plate on the rewind lever that is the wrong colour. The shop I bought this from had two black Canon P's. They both seemed to be real, but the other one was worn through to silver rather than brass.

I recently bought a custom repaint and yesterday I got a nice little black Jupiter lens to go with it. I will put my first roll of film through it soon...

49386842347_3317b38561_k.jpg

I have the Peter Dechert book on Canon rangefinders at home. I will check if the black Canon P in there had those last three digits on the serial. The other I saw in the shop did and there's photos of a black Canon P in a thread at the top of the forum that also does. It's a bit of a coincidence otherwise.

That's a stunning camera with the patina and 1.2 on it. Must get around to getting one of those 1.2 lenses for my (sadly not black) P.

Yeah, I kinda wish I still had this camera. The 50/1.2 is a great lens, highly recommend it. I just commissioned a repaint of the Canon 50/1.4 and love it. It's a better size on the Canon P I think:

49462924636_8c42611c5a_k.jpg

Yeah, I kinda wish I still had this camera. The 50/1.2 is a great lens, highly recommend it. I just commissioned a repaint of the Canon 50/1.4 and love it. It's a better size on the Canon P I think:

Curious: Who makes the black lenses? Looking great..!

Cheers, Frank

This camera and lens were repainted by Shueido Camera (Taiwan).

How are those cameras from Shueido? I have been looking at them recently and wondering how good the refinishing is. Some of them look fantastic. They are supposedly serviced as well.
Any issues with yours?

How are those cameras from Shueido? I have been looking at them recently and wondering how good the refinishing is. Some of them look fantastic. They are supposedly serviced as well.
Any issues with yours?

I thought the finish was pretty good. I don't have anything else to compare that too however so take that with a pinch of salt.

Back