Canon LTM Canon P lens mount question

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
Local time
5:49 PM
I recently purchased a Canon P that came with a 50mm lens, I wanted to get a 35 mm lens and thought I had done the correct research when purchasing a VOIGTLANDER Ultron Vintage Line 35mm f2 Aspherical Type II VM Lens... of course, when it arrived it doesn't seem to fit.

Did I purchase the wrong mount, and if so, is there an adapter that will be able to get this lens on a Canon P?

Thanks!

VM- means Voigtlander M-Mount. This will not fit on the Canon P, and cannot be adapted to it.

You need a Leica Thread Mount lens. The older Voigtlander lenses will work, also Thread Mount lenses made by Canon and Nikon when the Canon P was new.

The Nikkor 3.5cm F2.5 in Leica Mount is my personal favorite of the classic lens of choice, the original Voigtlander 35/1.7 Ultron in Leica Thread Mount is my favorite modern lens for it- although it came out in 1999.

Random Ebay Examples.

I recently purchased a Canon P that came with a 50mm lens, I wanted to get a 35 mm lens and thought I had done the correct research when purchasing a VOIGTLANDER Ultron Vintage Line 35mm f2 Aspherical Type II VM Lens... of course, when it arrived it doesn't seem to fit.

Did I purchase the wrong mount, and if so, is there an adapter that will be able to get this lens on a Canon P?

Thanks!
Thanks so much for the reply. Bummer for me as I’m pretty sure I can’t return the lens, haha!

Happy Holidays!

love the canon f-1.4. I also have and enjoy the smaller and cheaper excellent 1.8. Both have good tabs.
Can you use the tab like the leica ones where centre down is 1.2m right for hyperfocal and left for 0.7m ? For me the distances are not so important like the muscle memory to be able to zone focus quick without looking

Can you use the tab like the leica ones where centre down is 1.2m right for hyperfocal and left for 0.7m ? For me the distances are not so important like the muscle memory to be able to zone focus quick without looking
The later Leica Thread Mount version of the 35/1.7 has a small stick screwed into the barrel, but it is not an infinity lock. It is about 180degrees from infinity.
The Nikkor 35's in Leica Thread Mount all have tabs and infinity locks.

YaKnow, as far as 35mm lenses go, the 35mm Color Skopar 2.5 is a fine lens and very small. The older leica LTM lenses will fit the Canon P.... both the Summaron and the Elmar 3.5cm are great lenses too
43524758324_d6c2769ea6.jpg

For 50 mm I can second the recommendation for 1.8/50 mm Canon. I have the older chrome version and it is well built and hard to find any serious fault in its IQ. Just a nice jack of all bases. I also have the 1.5/50 mm Canon but consider this as a a lens for special occasions where i want to see the Sonnar-signature and can tolerate the weaknesses.

For 50 mm I can second the recommendation for 1.8/50 mm Canon. I have the older chrome version and it is well built and hard to find any serious fault in its IQ. Just a nice jack of all bases. I also have the 1.5/50 mm Canon but consider this as a a lens for special occasions where i want to see the Sonnar-signature and can tolerate the weaknesses.
It seems the OP got the Canon P with a 50mm & is looking for a 35mm lens

It seems the OP got the Canon P with a 50mm & is looking for a 35mm lens
I know and the OP already got several options for a 35 and in #4 gzisis69 asked about a fifty. That's what threads do, they take turns. But keeping it to 35 mm is fine with me, if you prefer. My LTM-35 is a Summaron 3,5/35 mm where I removed the haze on the inner elements, a frequent problem with this lens, and now it performs nicely. Not as contrasty as many modern lenses but enjoyable and usable without reservations or precautions. Used ones without haze can be had at roughly the price of the Canon 2/35 wich is the one I would prefer as it better fits the look and handling of the body.

Last edited:
Back