Canon LTM Canon P

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
Thank you for the input; I decided to go for the Canon 35mm 2.8. I use this format more than 50mm so i'll start here and see how it goes. I understand that the frame-lines for 35mm on the P are not very friendly but I guess i'll find out.

Pay close attention to the inside glass on the Canon lenses. Some developed a permanent fog (well-discussed in other threads). I've seen numerous 50/1.8s with the issue. But when the glass is clean, they are all excellent lenses, and good bargains, as well.

Look into the Canon 50/1.8. It features great build, and affordable prices on eBay.

So here we go.
My Canon P arrived today plus a 50mm 1.4, and a 35mm 2.8 from Japan
All three were from different sellers and unfortunately the 35mm is not good. The glass and overall condition are really good, but the lens is stuck on infinity – anyway I have contacted the seller and i'm sure it will be resolved.
In the meantime the Canon P and 50mm look excellent – testing for general function seems ok but a film shoot will be the acid test.
Ive never used a rangefinder, but initial playing around it seems simple and effective to achieve focus.
The camera is incredibly minimalist, even elegant, and a joy to hold and feel
Its now loaded with FP4; if we can get a reasonably fine day without the relentless rain (here on the Welsh borders UK) I will get out and find out what I have really bought.

Attachments

• Canon P.jpg
    Canon P.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 9
If the seller won't take refunds or lets you keep it, the 35 F2.8 chrome and black version are both fairly easy to take apart and repair.

I wanted to get out and shoot with my (new) Canon P but the weather has been dreadful here in the UK. Anyway I did some testing, as I always do with new gear – most of the images were of a target (Lens Align) but I did shot a couple of other images around the house.
These two were shot using the 35mm and 50mm lenses – see above.
I must say first of all the camera is an absolute joy to hold and use. The rangefinder seems spot on and whilst the viewfinder is a little hazy (not too much) I find it quite easy to focus.
So the camera seems to function perfectly, loading, frame spacing and shutter speeds seem very accurate – I use a Pentax 1° digital...
And the lenses; well see for yourself, I am amazed what 1950's glass produces.
Yes I know these are scans and don't really show the true rendering; however I did a couple of darkroom prints of the same and they are wonderful – can't wait to get out and use this beauty in ernest !!

Attachments

• Canon P with 35mm.jpg
    Canon P with 35mm.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Canon P with 50mm.jpg
    Canon P with 50mm.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 16
Back