Canon TV 50mm f/0.95 optical construction

Yes the dates don't match. I find it strange that there doesn't appear to be a patent for the Canon f/0.95. The Delft one references the Canon f/1.2 so you'd think that if the f/0.95 existed it would be referenced as well? And then the Canon goes on to be produced in large numbers for 20 years (including the TV version).

There is a good chance that I'm on a false lead. If I had access to an optical lab or lens designer I could verify. Fascinating stuff really.

......There is a good chance that I'm on a false lead. If I had access to an optical lab or lens designer I could verify. Fascinating stuff really.

You should pick up a copy of Arthur Cox's book on optics (mine is 1974). He writes about several of Canons high-speed rangefinder optics in his section on symmetrical lenses.

Jim B.

Olivier, there could be a Japanese patent for the 0.95. It won't appear in the US patent listing and may not have been known to Old Delft / US Patent reviewers.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction. The Oude Delft patent was indeed a false lead. I was able to find the Japanese patent! It's a bit of a miracle as those old patents are not indexed by keyword/author/company and are in Japanese only.

Here is the URL. You can also find it by searching 1960-043650 on the patent site. I can't read Japanese but I was able to match the characters for Canon and Jiro Mukai in the document.

The prescription appears to be a better match to my experiments. Hard to be sure without proper equipment but I hope that's it.

Quick update. A friendly optician made me a replacement element at a reasonable cost. Not the exact glass/radii as per patent but close enough (at least according to ray-tracing data).

I've only tested it briefly (on crop sensor, my a7 died :(). Seems comparable to the proper 0.95 lens? At any rate it's a though lens to use at 0.95: soft and low contrast but nice oof areas. I'll likely get better in post-processing!

Here are some thumbnails of the ghetto 0.95. I'm using an helicoid coupled via a ring made by RAF camera. Focuses much closer than the 1m of the original but I would like to cover the aperture linkage. I'll post pictures eventually when I repair/replace the full frame camera.

Attachments

• DSCF5721.JPG
    DSCF5721.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF5722.JPG
    DSCF5722.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 0
Back