Canonet 28 with canolite problem

Canonsven

Local time
5:41 AM
Hi, I have a question about my canonet 28 with canolite d flash. The canonet works perfectly fine on both auto and manual aperture mode. The flash also fires when I am having the camera set on a manual aperture but when I put the camera on automatic mode in low light situations the canonet wont allow me to take a picture. Does anyone have an idea what might cause this problem or what I am doing wrong? I'm quite new to using the canonet with the canolite flash. Thanks!

Have you read the manual? From what i remember, the Canonet won't take pictures if the light is too low, in auto, so of course wouldn't trigger the flash. Normally you'd want to use manual aperture otherwise you don't have any control over the flash intensity - the shutter speed with an electronic flash is irrelevant as its duration is maybe 1/10,000 second so shorter than any shutter speed.

I suspect the camera isn't detecting the presence of the flash. With the camera set to A it should be automatic, if I'm not mistaken. If it doesn't know there is a flash connected, it likely thinks the light is too low, in which case it won't let the camera fire.

Have you checked the hot shoe contacts? Maybe one of the wires leading from the hot shoe is corroded...

Have you read the manual? From what i remember, the Canonet won't take pictures if the light is too low, in auto, so of course wouldn't trigger the flash. Normally you'd want to use manual aperture otherwise you don't have any control over the flash intensity - the shutter speed with an electronic flash is irrelevant as its duration is maybe 1/10,000 second so shorter than any shutter speed.

From what I understand from the manuals the manual aperture settings are to be used with external flashed that are not the canolite d. The canonlite d has an extra hot shoe connection that should let the caninet know there is a canolite flash attached which is synced with the auto settings of the canonet. So I would assume the canonet should fire with low light conditions and a flash attached.

I suspect the camera isn't detecting the presence of the flash. With the camera set to A it should be automatic, if I'm not mistaken. If it doesn't know there is a flash connected, it likely thinks the light is too low, in which case it won't let the camera fire.

Have you checked the hot shoe contacts? Maybe one of the wires leading from the hot shoe is corroded...

I did actually, checked both the camera and the flash inside and outside, all shiny like new. Thats why i'm puzzled it does not work

On the Canonet 17 there are geen numbers on the lens barrel to engage the Canonlite D, I never qwned a 28 but if there are any, try those. Welcome to the forum.

... The canonlite d has an extra hot shoe connection that should let the caninet know there is a canolite flash attached which is synced with the auto settings of the canonet. So I would assume the canonet should fire with low light conditions and a flash attached.

Correct and maybe not.

It's correct that the Canonette 28 (and QL17 GIII) will detect the presence of a fully recycled Canonlite D and switch from a metered autoexposure mode to a guide number "auto" mode. The cameras will alter their f/stop based on the focus setting while the flash fires at full power all the time.

If memory serves (at my age it's not 100% reliable...), the cameras will lock the shutter release if they are focused either too close or too far away for proper exposure.

I just looked at the manual and the flash should sync in "A" mode as long as the shutter speed is between 1/30 and 1/600. What type of battery replacement are you using?

Correct and maybe not.

It's correct that the Canonette 28 (and QL17 GIII) will detect the presence of a fully recycled Canonlite D and switch from a metered autoexposure mode to a guide number "auto" mode. The cameras will alter their f/stop based on the focus setting while the flash fires at full power all the time.

If memory serves (at my age it's not 100% reliable...), the cameras will lock the shutter release if they are focused either too close or too far away for proper exposure.

Thats exactly how I thought it worked, however I tried that but it still wont let me take a picture :(

I just looked at the manual and the flash should sync in "A" mode as long as the shutter speed is between 1/30 and 1/600. What type of battery replacement are you using?

I am using a alkaline v625u 1,5v. Could it be that I need a zink-air battery to make it work?

No, your replacement should work just fine. What ISO film are you using? According to the manual the flash won't fire if your speed is less than 1/30th in A mode.

On the Canonet 17 there are green numbers on the lens barrel to engage the Canonlite D, I never qwned a 28 but if there are any, try those. Welcome to the forum.
The green colored numbers are for other makes of flashes other than the Canolite D It is stated in the QL 17 owners manual

Back