Canonet QL-7 GIII shutter speeds slow

billybob123

Local time
2:35 AM
I have recently purchased a canonet 1l-17 giii in very good condition. The seller told me the camera has undergone a CLA and had the light meter recalibrated for 1.5V batteries. Being the scientists that I am, I tested the shutter speeds using the dslr approach and found that the shutter speeds were consistently slower that that of my dslr for every given speed. I estimated that it was at least one stop slower on each speed. I have torn down the camera to do my own CLA and have removed the shutter mechanism (with a great deal of struggle) to apply zippo lighter fluid several times to the shutter blades and flywheels using a Q-tip. I then dried (with a blower) and applied a small amount of watch oil to the flywheels, leaving the shutter dry. I believe I am now at the stage to 'adjust' however I can find no obvious way to do that. Is there a point/screw that needs to be tightened to get the shutter firing at the correct speed? I have the service manuals but could not find anything.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated :)

I have forgotten if this camera takes a battery that is no longer sold in the USA?
But I am also remembering that I might have purchased off of the internet one of the mercury batteries that was used on the camera. Anyway I will shoot a roll of film in the camera next and use the Aperture Priorty.

I have forgotten if this camera takes a battery that is no longer sold in the USA?
But I am also remembering that I might have purchased off of the internet one of the mercury batteries that was used on the camera. Anyway I will shoot a roll of film in the camera next and use the Aperture Priorty.

You're correct: It takes a 1.35v Mercury (PX625) cell, which are no longer available in the USA. Most cameras built for the mercury cell don't have the voltage regulators required for the wandering voltage of an alkaline cell, so an alkaline cell is not suitable. An easy replacement is a 1.35v Wein Zinc-air MRB625 cell. Or you could use a 1.4v 675 cell with a sizing adapter...

Back