Canonet QL17 GIII focus exposure coupling

Evildmp

Local time
12:37 AM
According to my understanding the GIII will couple the exposure to the focus position when a flash unit is attached.

My GIII seems to couple the exposure (as indicated by the needle) to the focus all the time that the aperture ring is in 'A' position, flash or no flash. The light falling on the metering cell also seems to affect the exposure.

It seems to me that the camera thinks that a flash unit is attached.

My questions:

* This is incorrect behaviour, right?
* How does the camera detect a flash unit?

The problem is not to do with the top cover, because even with that removed the behaviour is the same.

I think there is a pin in the hotshoe that depresses when a flash is in the shoe - do you have a hotshoe cover in place lace or is the pin stuck in its place?

I have careully inspected my camera's hot shoe with a magnifying glass and cannot see any pin. There is a second electrical contact in the hot shoe that would mate with the flash specifically made for the Canonet QL17 GIII. I think that is how the camera knows a flash is attached. I would say there is something wrong with the internal ciecutry that makes the camera think the flash is always attached. Sorry I can't be more specific.

I have a Canonet QL 17 and the light meter light comes on but the exposure needle doesn't move. I am wondering if maybe there is a more correct battery that should be used as it has a 625A battery in it?

how can you determine between shutter priority and aperture priority and change it on this camera? I lost my directions.

how can you determine between shutter priority and aperture priority and change it on this camera? I lost my directions.

There is no aperture priority option on a QL-17, any version.

The options are:

1. Shutter priority: (when the A is set and no Canonlite D is mounted and on)
2. Manual: when f/stop and shutter speed are set
3. Guide Number: when a GN is set. These are metric (e.g. GNm) and the shutter fires at 1/30th.
4 Special Canonlite D GN mode: when A is set and a Canonlite D is mounted, turned on, and fully recycled. GN is determined by the ISO set.

Both GN modes (#3 & #4, above) use the focus setting to derive the f/stop so exposure accuracy is affected by the focusing accuracy. #4 also requires that the ISO be properly set and the camera's metering system be working properly (e.g. good battery & properly functioning needle display in VF).

I forgot that A (Aperture Priority) is marked on the speed dial and now the needle jumped. I may try this camera next. I have two others with film in them currently and have to expose those first.

I forgot that A (Aperture Priority) is marked on the speed dial and now the needle jumped. ...

• A is on the ring with the f/stops and GNs, not the "speed dial".
  • A = "Automatic", not "Aperture Priority". Automatic happens to be shutter priority, BTW.
  • Power to the meter is turned off when an f/stop or GN is set manually

Back