Canon LTM Canonet Question?

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
U

unfocuzed

I read somewhere something along the lines of when in manual mode the canonet doesn't meter. Is this true or just my misunderstanding?

Thanks!

BTW, anyone wanna sell me one?

most of the older rf cams don't meter when in manual mode.

i have a canonet 17 but i'm not ready to sell just yet.

joe

unfocuzed

Yes it is true that The QL17 does not meter in manual mode. This is a good thing as it allows you to use higher iso films like Ilford 3200, in "A" mode the Canon's exposure lock would stop you in many situatuions as the ISO ratings on the QL17 only go to 800.

I have two, neither of which is for sale fortunately.

Wayne

QL17 Metering

QL17 Metering

I'm beginning to wonder if the meter in my QL17 has an intermittent problem. During a shoot at the border yesterday, the meter just wouldn't work. When I got home it worked fine. I've been using a digisix for an external meter. The attached photo is from the QL17 metered externally. I shot the same scene with my Canon digital and it just would not focus on the face.

Re: QL17 Metering

Re: QL17 Metering

rovnguy said:
I'm beginning to wonder if the meter in my QL17 has an intermittent problem. During a shoot at the border yesterday, the meter just wouldn't work. When I got home it worked fine. I've been using a digisix for an external meter. The attached photo is from the QL17 metered externally. I shot the same scene with my Canon digital and it just would not focus on the face.

What ISO film speed were you using? If Sunny 16 rule called for faster shutter than 1/500 sec @ f16 the Canon will not let you shoot in "A" mode.

Wayne

Is that what the borders look like at the beach? I've always wondered what they did about that. Kind of odd and scary at the same time.

Wayne -

I was using Fuji Reala 100 film. The digisix light meter said 1/250 @ f/5.6. The needle in the viewfinder was pegged at the minimum EV position, so I just shot manual. I didn't feel there was enough sun to use the "Sunny 16" rule.

Yes, this is a very scary border. Anyone can cross anytime they feel like it. I don't want to sound like a racist, but arabs look a lot like mexicans.

rovnguy, interesting shots, both. I like the guy looking through the bars as a better picture, but the beach fence makes a good document.

I was at this spot in about 1974, and that ugly fence wasn't on the beach then. There was only a simple wire fence further up, but you could simply walk idly along the sand, then look up and be surprised that you'd crossed the border. :)

Times have sure changed a lot of things out here. We used to run dune buggies on this beach. Can't do that now either.

Okay, I am assuming that you used the camera in Auto mode. Took me a while to remember that the Canonet turned off its meter UNLIKE my beloved Minolta Hi-Matic 9 that I have had since age 11.

Does the battery check indicate that the battery is making contact when the shutter is not responding? If it does not, bad battery contacts.

If you move the ASA selector, does the needle jump? If yes, the variable resistor may be dirty. You can hit a dead zone, touch it, and it will bounce back.

Brian - I tried all this, plus pointing the camera into the sun. Nothing. A couple of hours later when I returned home, it worked fine. I'm now wondering if there was enough moisture in the air to cause this.

It could be the galvenometer going, or the needle getting stuck on the "trap-Needle" mechanism, or a bunch of things that will drive you crazy. I have one Nikon DP1 head that takes 10 minutes to work again after using the battery test button. The funny part is that it got me a free Mint Black eye-level finder. After testing in the camera store, the salesman and I both though the meter was bad so he through in the DE1 to sweeten the deal. I have another Nikon F2 with DP1 meter that needs a "Three Stooges" wrap in the "head" every so often to wake up. After that it is flawless.

If our cameras were truly perfect, I don't think we'd enjoy them as much.

Back