Canonet Shout Out!

M

Manynames

Shout out for all the Canonet users! Let's hear it for the poor man's leica! Let's hear it for the camera that suddenly jumped in prices on the used market. (are we still blaming Solares for that?)

greetings manynames, welcome to the forum.

i have heard of the infamous thread about the cannonet.
maybe we can be part of something as grand here.
hope to see you around.

francisco has already been here.

joe

Yeah, it was francisco who let us rangefinder users over at popphoto know about this site.

Are you guys planning on putting out another "In praise of the Canonet" kind of thread? If that's the case, I better run and get myself the backup I've been meaning to buy since I got my first! :)

BTW, I didn't get the Canonet thread into the Popular Photography magazine. Blame Mason for his (excellent, wise, inspired) choice of topic for that month's "Overheard in PopPhoto Forums" column. I just started a thread. :angel:

Last edited:
just to be accurate and also to feed my ego, i posted at pop about this forum when i heard about it. i think francisco read the post and then visited here.
but he is doing a much better job at getting the interest stirred up.
either way, i'm glad interest is starting to mount.

i'd love to see this place flourish.

joe

The Canonet is a very nice camera. I owned a couple of them at different times but couldn't get past that heavy shutter release. I'm not sure if it were necessitated by the exposure trapping mechanism or a design flaw. With a lighter shutter release, I would consider the Canonet best of breed. Competing Olympus and Minolta models had much lighter let offs, an important feature for me. I have accepted and rejected cameras based soley on how smoothly they focused and exposed. "Street" photography is an art/sport of microseconds, IMHO, and while anyone can use any camera to take any picture (within reason), some designs work better than others.

If you get one, be sure to replace the foam light seals. Just about all of them have deteriorated by now. Should be an easy fix. Also, check out the light meter for linearity or forget about it and use an accessory meter.

Joe, it was your post, then, what brought me over here to this forum. I simply couldn't remember how I stumbled upon this site, but I did know I came from the PopPhoto forum. However late, thanks, rangefinder pal!! :)

I love this camera! My investment in it demands it! I probably have the most expensive one ever! I paid close to $100.00 when a buying frenzy was on for these cameras. I took it to a local repair shot to adjust the rangefinder, $50.00. They botched the job so I sent it to Essex Camera Service where I paid close to $100.00 again. Essex Camera Service in NJ is great, they finally fixed it good as new. Anyhow, it is only money. What is money when you're in love. ;-)

Nice shot of the rusty Ford, Henricus! It does have an air of a still-life. Now, the very last comment was a bit off: "pity the bottom is out of focus."

That's something called DOF.

I hate that kind of remarks. Between "it's a bit underexposed to the left" (where there's no light) and "crop the top" (when it's already tight), I pull my hair in desperation and simply don't post pictures any more.

Yours are good by the way!

SolaresLarrave said:
Nice shot of the rusty Ford, Henricus! It does have an air of a still-life. Now, the very last comment was a bit off: "pity the bottom is out of focus."

That's something called DOF.

I hate that kind of remarks. Between "it's a bit underexposed to the left" (where there's no light) and "crop the top" (when it's already tight), I pull my hair in desperation and simply don't post pictures any more.

Yours are good by the way!

Thanks Sol. As to the comments, I don't mind them when they come from people that know what they are talking about. The person that made the comment didn't mean anything rude. He is quite accomplished and I respect his opinion. We need to post some pics here. Maybe start a picture of the week club?

comments are welcome but it's a grain of salt kinda thing for me.
how do you really know what the photographer was hoping for when they shot & printed the photo?

maybe i like the tops of my heads off or no feet in a photo.
and those black heads on that guys nose are what i was going for...

it's so hard to critique...i prefer an emotional response.

i also write poetry and sometimes do readings in public. the comments i like are the ones that reflect the impact on the listener. i don't care to hear about my grammar or that i refuse to write with capitals. my style is mine and not really open for comment, but tell me if i had an impact!!
positive or negative btw.

backalley photo said:
comments are welcome but it's a grain of salt kinda thing for me.
how do you really know what the photographer was hoping for when they shot & printed the photo?

maybe i like the tops of my heads off or no feet in a photo.
and those black heads on that guys nose are what i was going for...

it's so hard to critique...i prefer an emotional response.

i also write poetry and sometimes do readings in public. the comments i like are the ones that reflect the impact on the listener. i don't care to hear about my grammar or that i refuse to write with capitals. my style is mine and not really open for comment, but tell me if i had an impact!!
positive or negative btw.

Back,
I never looked at it that way. That is a very good point. However, I'm not quite there yet. I know what I like, but I don't always capture it correctly. For me it is a matter of using the tools correctly or learning the finer points of using the tools. This is where I know I need help and ask for it with critiques. I simply ignore the dumb remarks and focus on what I think can help me. Some people are better than others and those are the ones that get my ear.

Regards,
Henry

Back