Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 50mm F1.5 Limited Edition Nikon RF Mt

Really looks to me like there is no issues with a 50/1.5 wide open on either a Nikon or Contax. I'm not going to pretend to come up with a rationalization, but the proof is there.

Is it worth it? I find it interesting that Zeiss made it and kudo's to them for that. I dont think there is a whole lot of difference between a Nikkor 50f1.4, a Contax 50f1.5 and the new Zeiss, at least not in black/white. If you want the sharpest possible lens, the SC Nokton 50f1.5 probably takes the prize and if you want to have a "retro" look, either one of the older ones will give you that, albeit with more flare than the Zeiss C-Sonnar.
ANY new lens is interesting as glass technology is advancing and modern coatings will change the characteristics of an older formula in modern guise.
With the C Sonnar in SC mount it is abit of a mote point as far too many of these lenses will languish in boxes with collectors, rather than being used. With a production of 300 units - it will become a bit of a scarce commodity, which is too bad.

I agree. I think it's a real shame when any camera or lens ends up behind glass, never to be used. Only to be seen as a trophy.

Tom,

This is a great test!!!
I can´t wait for the other images taken with the contax...

By the way, I noted a diference between the Old (Contax) Sonnar and the New (SC) Sonnar both at f/1.5.

2782704162_1d346d75c3_m.jpg

If you look at the book titled: "DIANEARBUS" (at the right border of the image) you can still see part of the N, and probably the I in the image taken with the old (Contax) Sonnar,

2781847751_68b75943f9_m.jpg

but it is impossible to see anything in the other image taken with the new (SC) Sonnar.

Anyway I will wait for the next series!
Thanks Tom, for sharing your tests!!!

Ernesto

Last edited:
Ernesto, I did notice that the older Sonnar has a different out of focus rendition than the new one. If you look at the chrome lens on the shelf in the background, it is much more "diffused" with the older lens. I suspect that part of that is the multicoating on the new lens - slightly higher contrast.
I will see if I can do some more of these shots this weekend. If the weather is too good I think I rather be outside - and I have to make up another batch of Beutler too.

Back