Carrying and using two cameras simultaneously/alternately ... how do you do it?

I have a different idea. If you're using two 35mm rangefinder cameras, make an adapter plate so you can attach them bottom to bottom. This way they're always at the same place at the same time, and they can't bump into each other. You don't even have to turn them over to shoot with the lower camera. Simply hold the combination against your forehead, and shoot with the lower camera upside down! They say you can hold a camera steadier this way anyway. But obviously this rig is going to be heavy, heavy, heavy. And no, I've never tried this or seen it done. Disclaimer: If you have nightmares about this tonight, don,t blame me.

I've decided that at the gallery openings I document with my M8 I would occasionally like to shoot some black and white film at the same time ... probably with my Ikon or M3. Usually at these events I don't use a strap at all and just carry the M8 in hand as I'm generally not a great fan of straps at all and seldom use one.

I have two Luigi deluxe straps and with one strap lengthened as far as possible and the other very short one camera will hang above the other but it feels really weird with one camera virtually under your chin and the other down around your navel.

Is there any other practical way to achieve a balance here without straps overlapping and fouling each other etc ... hanging the lower camera off to the side and having it around the shoulder instead of around the neck seems to create problems with the other front mounted camera when you raise it ... or am I just being difficult? :p

Like you, I often will shoot a film body along w/digital, usually for personal shots when I'm shooting an assignment.

I always use shoulder straps, anyway (worn diagonally, w/the camera underneath the arm opposite the shoulder that the strap is resting on), so If I carry 2 cameras, they'll be on straps criss-crossed my body, bandolier-style. If I'm shooting a show or event, I'll also often have a 3rd, point & shoot, in a jacket or pants pocket. Since my shooting bags are bike messenger bags that are also worn across the body, I use the same basic arrangement if I'm using a bag, w/the camera going on the opposite shoulder from the bag (I alternate between right & left-shouldered bags to spread the strain/weight lest I become a hunchback).

If I need more mobility w/1 body, I'll just slide it over whichever arm it was under so the strap is only around my neck & slip it back under when I'm done w/it.

Last edited:
I most frequently work with two cameras.
Usually its the M8.2 with a 28 or 35 and a Nikon D300 with an 85/1.4.

Generally, one is in my hand, with the strap twisted around my wrist to keep it secure. But I loop it in a way that I can quickly toss the strap around my right shoulder if I need to use the other camera.

The secondary camera will either be around my neck or my left shoulder.

When working this way, I don't generally have a camera bag on me. I leave it in my car or stash it someplace secure.

One around neck, one in a bag. Recently the bag is a small knapsack, as I have found that the shoulder/neck thing can really wear on me.

This is what I do, or even keep both in the bag with wrist straps for quick access. I don't like cameras swinging around on neck straps.

Steve

I use two RF cameras at the same time, the one with the shorter lens on the left shoulder and the one with the longer lens on the right. Both with the same film - TriX or Arista. The UpStraps keeps them where they belong.

... or am I just being difficult? :p
As usual keith, yes! ;) I hang both from the neck, shorter FL above the longer. I use straps made from old 1½in Domke bag straps with metal swivel hooks, see the attached pic. They don't get tangled up. These home-made straps are very versatile, I can carry one of the cams bandolier-style and it can hang below the level of my white t-shirt if necessary, turn the strap inside-out on the swivel hooks and it slides.

:)

Attachments

• MPs+1.5in_straps.jpg
    MPs+1.5in_straps.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 0
Mine look similar, Peter, except the A&A straps are precut to fit.

Looks dorky, in particular with a little bit of "beer-muscle", but it's very functional :)

I agree with Roger: bags are not a good solution... They don't make you look ready, they don't make you feel ready, and they don't make you be ready... I hang two cameras from my shoulders as the usual thing, and when I have a third one and want to shoot them all, I hang from my neck the lightest and smallest (if not, in a pocket). They don't give me problems, and I don't need to move too much either when I shoot. Generally, I have film and filters on my pockets to avoid bags, and use a bag only when I am not shooting...

Cheers,

Juan

Last edited:
You may have to check with a German War Museum for the availability of this. It was apparently standard issue for the Wehrmacht during WW II.

Depending on the parties, openings you cover, you may want to give some thought to the Mauser in the boot.

--Steve
Holy cow, that is remarkable

2 cameras
2 wrist straps
1 small bag, domke 5xb or lowepro terraclime 100

very easy to switch out cameras, easier than changing lenses.

I usually have 1 camera on each shoulder, but when i concentrate on using one camera for a while, i wrap the strap around my wrist, sometimes, i grab for the second camera and let the one on my wrist dangle...

I once shot a day concert with 4 cameras. 2 digitals for media coverage, color and long lenses. The M6 and a bronica SQ for fun, high contrast black and white. I got a bunch of great images that complemented themselves very well... 2 digitals around my neck at different length i had my bronica SQ on my left shoulder and my M6 on the right shoulder, not very practical, was tons of fun though!

2 cameras
2 wrist straps
1 small bag, domke 5xb or lowepro terraclime 100

very easy to switch out cameras, easier than changing lenses.

I'm with joe. Messenger bags like Domke is perfect for this. Two cameras in the bag, when I'm not shooting, that way I don't look like a tourist (or target). When I shoot, only one camera is out of the bag at a time.

Usually I have an SLR with medium tele, and a rangefinder with 35mm or 50mm. So when to use which one is quite obvious, perfect for scatter-brained folks like myself.

Keith, this solution comes across a bit left field - I meet a guy in morroco who carried an SLR and smallish P&S . The SLR with neck strap and the P&S in an adapted under arm pistol holster! He had cut some leather out for the lens and it kinda just sat in there. Weird but worked, weird guy also.

hmm? interesting idea. kind of like those Benser baseplate things to attach a couple of lenses to the bottom of an M. The benefit here is that if you drop this rig on the ground, you gain the efficiency of having two bodies and two lenses at the shop for repairs simultaneously. Maybe that will save a little on shipping and perhaps a volume discount from your favorite repairman.
Another benefit is that if you shoot with these held vertically and in sync you might have a jerry-rigged stereo setup. Do let us know how you make out after prototyping and testing this. Probably a good a idea to give Ken Rockwell a "beta" test version to review as well.:bang::D
I have a different idea. If you're using two 35mm rangefinder cameras, make an adapter plate so you can attach them bottom to bottom. This way they're always at the same place at the same time, and they can't bump into each other. You don't even have to turn them over to shoot with the lower camera. Simply hold the combination against your forehead, and shoot with the lower camera upside down! They say you can hold a camera steadier this way anyway. But obviously this rig is going to be heavy, heavy, heavy. And no, I've never tried this or seen it done. Disclaimer: If you have nightmares about this tonight, don,t blame me.

how about Al Kaplan style? Both of them slung around your neck on straps of similar length and a cigarette or your favorite smoke dangling from your lips. a cup of starbucks in-hand and you're ready to roll.

Keith, I spent three months in France, Ireland and UK carrying two Bessa RF's simultaneously. I have a modest Lowepro shoulder bag with three compartments. I usually have the f1.4/40 Nokton on the R3A and either a 35 0r 25mm WA on the R4A. They tuck down in the right and left compartments (although I usually had one camera in hand). The middle compartment holds the 75mm lens, the 15mm and either the 25 or 35 (whichever is not on a camera) and a small leather bag which just holds the viewfinders for the 75, 25 and 15 - so I can switch lenses to whichever camera. I don't have a separate viewfinder for the 35 - there are framelines for it on the R4A and I figure the 40 framelines on the R3A are "near enough".

I use two cameras quite a lot while walking around. Unlike most of the other postees, who seem to prefer straps, I always have one camera ( a rangefinder) in hand, completely strapless. The second camera ( usually an SLR) is on a shoulder strap. If I want to use the SLR, the rangefinder gets dropped into a pocket, a small bag or a fanny back. This system leaves me unentangled and with ready access to the rangefinder for a quick shot. A fanny back carried in front at your waistline actually makes a very good small, discreet, and accessible carry bag for small rangefinders.

A fanny back carried in front at your waistline actually makes a very good small, discreet, and accessible carry bag for small rangefinders.

I always feel pregnant wearing a fanny pack (or bum bag - depends on your point of view) but either way they're a real royal PITA when you get in a car and try to put the seat belt on!

Messenger bag holds the camera/lens combo which will not be used as much. Primary camera ready to use in my hand. Messenger bag slung across the body in such a way that it is easy to put one camera in and get the other camera. The messenger bag is resting on side or back of hip area and you just slide it around and forward to get at things. Extra film and other stuff is in the messenger bag ready to get at as well. I always keep the same film in both cameras. That way not worried about a camera slipping off my shoulder.
Gary

Back