Center Filter

MP Guy

Just another face in the crowd
Staff member
Local time
7:05 PM
Has anyone tried a center filter other than the Fuji/Hassleblad? If so, any problems?

I borrowed a Contax Hologon 16 mm f/8 once, which uses a center filter to manage light fall-off. No problems

on the xpan? yes. its very obvious the fall out when not used. very dark edges.

It really depends on how do you want the photographs to be. For landscapes, I would say you definitely need that. For street photography, for some reason I like the light fall-off, feels like adding 'dimension' to the photo.

I hope XPan shots in the gallery will include info on whether or not a center filter was used.

The below is a fake XPan shot done with a 6x7 (Pentax) SLR with 45mm lens and cropped to XPan proportions.

Of course this retro-focus lens is farther from the film than the XPan's 45mm, so the corners are proportionately at a less-different distance than the center. Which should lead to less cosine-law falloff than with a "bare" XPan.

Does it appear so? I don't see much darkening at the ends/corners. I do see some in the XPan shots in the gallery, but others may (mostly?) employ the center filter?

Good point Doug and I will try to remember in the future. I've just been filling in the blanks, as it were.

So far as my own pics are concerned. I only got my centre filter in time to take the two at Birling Gap, i.e. the cliffs and the fisherman. The brightness distribution is caused by light coming through the clouds here.

Light fall-off is particularly visible in the London skyline shot even though I tried to crop some of it out.

Regards

Neil

Back