CEVIL Camera for the wife? (And me?)

joeyjoe

New rangefinder lover
Local time
3:35 PM
Hi Everyone,

My wife has outgrown her Canon A710 p&s camera and we're looking to get her something nicer. While my initial gut reaction was just to get her a dSLR, my own preference to rangefinders has me looking towards this new genera of mirror-less, interchangeable lens cameras.

My main concern is that the camera is a sensible size that either her or I will be willing to carry it around all the time (unlike SLR's with big kit zoom lenses which require their own cases). She wants something with good image quality and lenses that can have narrow depth of field. We both absolutely hate those electronic viewfinders as well as the tiny end-of-a-10-foot-tube viewfinders of the cheaper dSLR's as well. We'd like to get something in or under $1000.

Lastly, my main camera right now is a Bessa R3a with 40mm 1.4 Nokton MC. I have been really enjoying this camera and lens combination for the past year and a half or so (just need to get out and shoot more). I don't have a massive backlog of leica lenses (nor can I afford them) but was considering a micro 4/3's system as I would be able to adapt the lenses from the M sysem and therefor have an excuse to buy lenses "for US" rather than "for me" :).

Anyways, any recommendations would be great! I'm interested in a system rather than just a camera and lens.

Canon G12 or G11; Canon s95. All are excellent, rangefinder like. The s95 does not have a viewfinder but is smaller.

None have interchangeable lenses but that keeps things simple. I shot for years with a Rollei 35.

My 2c

Hi Everyone,

My wife has outgrown her Canon A710 p&s camera and we're looking to get her something nicer. While my initial gut reaction was just to get her a dSLR, my own preference to rangefinders has me looking towards this new genera of mirror-less, interchangeable lens cameras.

My main concern is that the camera is a sensible size that either her or I will be willing to carry it around all the time (unlike SLR's with big kit zoom lenses which require their own cases). She wants something with good image quality and lenses that can have narrow depth of field. We both absolutely hate those electronic viewfinders as well as the tiny end-of-a-10-foot-tube viewfinders of the cheaper dSLR's as well. We'd like to get something in or under $1000.

Lastly, my main camera right now is a Bessa R3a with 40mm 1.4 Nokton MC. I have been really enjoying this camera and lens combination for the past year and a half or so (just need to get out and shoot more). I don't have a massive backlog of leica lenses (nor can I afford them) but was considering a micro 4/3's system as I would be able to adapt the lenses from the M sysem and therefor have an excuse to buy lenses "for US" rather than "for me" :).

Anyways, any recommendations would be great! I'm interested in a system rather than just a camera and lens.

The future looks good for CEVIL cameras. Olympus and Sony seem to introduce new models every few months and Panasonic has promised a new ''pro' model soon. Now that Nikon has introduced an EVIL camera maybe Canon will also. The EVFs are not as good as an optical viewfinder but they will hopefully get better.

As a GF1 owner with some MFT lenses, I'm looking forward to the new cameras.

Back