Cheap Compact digital?

d.dulin

Established
Local time
9:19 PM
I hope I’m not in the wrong area or asking a way stupid question but I’m potentially looking for a cheap (sub $150) compact with decent optics and preferably a optical viewfinder. What’re my options? The GR and digilux seem really cool but are more than I want to spend on a digital camera.

Canon PowerShot A1400 is with optical viewfinder.
Canon G12 is much more advanced.

Viewfinderless, but Leica stabilized fast zoom:
https://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmcfh6
I have earlier version with 8MP and 2.8 Leica zoom. I'm still using it. It is my bag as the only camera for couple of days now.

med_U57736I1462413073.SEQ.0.jpg

med_U57736I1520742904.SEQ.0.jpg

The Panasonic LX3 and even the LX 5 are probably under your top limit these days when purchased second hand which is I fancy the only way you will find either. Both are excellent cameras - so good that Leica used them as the basis for their own pocket compacts. if you like the idea of a Digilux as you say you do, then one of these might be your answer. These cameras have everything except the Leica Digilux badge, being internally identical r\to that range of cameras.

I have had both but the LX5 is perhaps a little better in two respects if you can get one at your price point. First it has a longer zoom (24-90mm equivalent as opposed to 24 - 60mm equivalent). Second it can take an optical finder which sits in the accessory shoe but this must be purchased separately and it is not by any means a high definition finder though it is adequate for composing. Either camera is good though and each produces high quality images. As with all small sensor cameras you need to keep your ISO down to maximize image quality. (Up to 800 ISO is best). Looking on eBay the LX3 is commonly available for not much over $100 US while the prices asked for the LX5 vary considerably - sometimes as high as $250 but sometimes much less and well within your range too (eg saw some for $135) if you bide your time and choose carefully you can get one. The white body version of the LX 5 goes for comparatively little as I guess it is less popular assuming its less conventional color is not an issue for you.

You may find as someone else suggested a Canon G12 or a later version in the G series would be good if you can get them at your price. These have a comparatively large sensor (for a compact) and a built in finder. One thing I found with mine though is that the factory settings result in poor image quality - you need to play with in-camera settings to lower settings like high ISO noise reduction which tend to soften the images too much in my view.

Olympus XZ-1 (I prefer to the allegedly better XZ-2. Had both. I still say CCD has better output which the XZ-1 has, the 2 switched to CMOS. "Slightly" better in low light but lacks the pop of the one witt the CCD sensor.)
Pentax MX - 1 (Never owned similar to above -- but retro cool and built like a brick...)

No optical vf on either. Didn't miss them on this class of camera though. Both have great fast optics. 1.8 iirc. Both versions of the Olympus also look very cool -- especially with a little 1/2-case you can pick up for $10...)

The Canon G10 has an OVF and a decent lens, and shoots raw. I really enjoyed shooting mine until later cameras took over.

The Fuji X10 has a cool OVF which zooms along with the lens. Raw files are decent but the jpeg output is great, as per the usual Fuji experience,

I have an old Canon Ixus 95 IS. It has a zooming optical viewfinder and a whole 10mp. Things like this must be cheap as chips and do the job they were intended for.

If you look around, you can often find the original Sigma DP1 and DP1 going for around that price. These have better optics, a much larger sensor, and superior image quality to almost any compact P&S. You could even add on a cheap viewfinder from someone like Boriska_gr on ebay.

I hope I’m not in the wrong area or asking a way stupid question but I’m potentially looking for a cheap (sub $150) compact with decent optics and preferably a optical viewfinder. What’re my options? The GR and digilux seem really cool but are more than I want to spend on a digital camera.

How firm is that budget? A clean X100 is $250-$300 :)

Plus 1 for the original Sigma DP1 and DP2. They cost a bomb when released, but I've enjoyed every moment of owning them, and still shoot with them when the scenes are appropriate. Not to mention, recent versions of SPP have made ISO 800 usable in the DP1, whereas before it was a noisy mess. Now it's decent! The original Sigma compacts made me give up film photograpy for a while because the images have very similar qualities to film and few of the limitations. Unfortunately, later Foveon cameras have lost that 'magic' of the original sensors. So if you want a creaky, slow as molasses digital camera that can take spectacular images in daylight, get a DP1 or DP2.

The first series of GR Digitals should fall within your budget as long as you're willing to buy used. You can always save up to buy an accessory finder later on.

Nearly every Fuji or Canon from the "better" series will do the job still very good.
You have to be careful with higher ISOs and automatic exposures. If you control
exposure and sensitivity by yourself nearly all old P&S can deliver good results.

Not really P&S but a real tip is the Fuji X10 - as mentioned before. Fast and
good optics and clean images up to ISO800 with image stabilization. It´s also a
useable low-light / available light camera.

Also nice old compacts but without stabilization are the W5 and W7 Sonys.
Had a black one a long time and I loved it for its sharpness and colors.

Just an old Casio EX-Z10 could do it - if you avoid anything above ISO80 :D

attachment.php

A small and quick cam that feels solid like a rock from its full metal case.
Stabilized and battery (2xAAA) driven. Around $10-20 in Europe.

Attachments

• 1930kl.jpg
    1930kl.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 0
Back