cheap x100 batteries

hunz

Established
Local time
2:41 AM
can anyone recommend where they got theres from, which ebay sellers (link please). and that have not had any issues with their cheapo batts, and that have not blown up in your x100! -- just trying to play safe. thanks!

Go to Thomas Distributing at www.thomasdistributing.com. they have a Lenmar DLF95 battery for the Fuji. 1800 mAH, 3.7v, which is an exact match for the Fuji battery. I've used the Lenmar products for years without any issues. It has a 3-year warranty, and sells for $14.95/ea. They work great in my X100.

Brad

i found batteries that are marked as 'fuji' for about 10 bucks...still waiting for delivery...the pics show them as the same as my originals.

I found a deal on the bay...
2 batteries and a charger plus a car adapter for $11.95.
Everything works fine.
The adapter is for US 120 volts and the car part is for 12 volts.
I'll post a link if anyone wants it.
Don

I found a deal on the bay...
2 batteries and a charger plus a car adapter for $11.95.
Everything works fine.
The adapter is for US 120 volts and the car part is for 12 volts.
I'll post a link if anyone wants it.
Don

Yes! Don, a link please! Thanks.

/

posted above

the charger doesn't have that stupid foot that gets lost, only when ya need it. The car part works very fast... I guess DC to DC.

For youse all in other parts of the world.... this setup is 12 volts for the car and 120 volts fpr the charger...
don

Glad youse got the deal. Actually after like 5 charges, these last longer than the OEM.
The charger just plugs in the wall. It charges faster and fuller than the OEM.

I have 4 batteries but never needed more than 2.

Okay thanks.

Is anyone selling these in Europe?

I think buying one of those non-official batteries is enough back-up or should I really go for the double battery + charger pack?

I've already changed my habits to not using the LCD at all as I can see image previews in the viewfinder, which btw. is one hell of a feature. I'm amazed no other cameras afaik has that?

Thanks. I just bought one.

Would you, or anyone who bought this charger, happen to have any electronic test equipment on hand? Even a simple digital multi-meter would provide the ability to do a quick sanity check on the charger.

First off, it'd be nice to learn at what voltage the pack is brought to when the charger gives off its "I'm done" indication.

The Fujifilm OEM charger leaves my OEM and third party packs at 4.17 to 4.185V, which is typical for a decently designed charger. A charger should *never* raise the voltage in the pack above 4.2V.

Not all third party chargers bought off the internet actually do the job right. Some have been found to do silly, dangerous, things like apply a trickle charge to fully charged cells or push the cells way past 4.2V - both are *very* dangerous failures. Sadly the fact that a product is for sale on the internet isn't a clear indication that it has been tested and verified to adhere to known safe li-ion cell charging practice.

If you aren't absolutely certain of the conduct of your charger you can make using them safer by never leaving packs in them for extended periods of time and never leaving them run unattended (within earshot of your fire alarm). Chargers that employ the proper algorithm should deliver a fully charged pack in ~ 3 hours or less, depending on how much capacity was consumed while in powering the camera device.

With so many li-ion powered devices out there, and so many third parties looking to make a buck off the demand for replacement or spare cells/packs, there is ample opportunity for unscrupulous or simply stupid makers to flog bad and potentially dangerous products on to an unsuspecting public. After all, they are just batteries and chargers, just like the AA cells and chargers you keep your kids toys fed with, right?

Nope. Typical AA/AAA (and related) NiMH chemistry cells and their chargers are more or less intrinsically safe because the chemistry is safe, highly unlikely to catch on fire, go into thermal runaway, explode in a sealed device, etc.

On the other hand, li-ion cells are not intrinsically safe. They can be made safe to use with correct engineering - design of the entire system, from pack design, device design, and charger design.

You get an implicit guarantee that the OEM which includes a charger in their solution (like the X100, and its pack and charger) has looked at these issues themselves and taken an active role in the overall system design, or has subcontracted some of that role out... but the bottom line is the OEM is on the hook.

With third party packs, but even more importantly in my opinion, third party chargers, you have less assurance that the bits will work not only superficially but safely.

What are the risks of buying a non-Fuji battery? Are there reports of people that blew up their camera? Any experiences?
I don't necessarily want to go the cheap way, but the price difference with an official Fuji battery is huge... for 1 official Fuji battery i could buy 4 to 5 OEM batteries here in the Netherlands...

Back