Chemical temperature control.

G

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here before but here goes.
I had for a number of years issues with irregular negatives when developing black and white. Films taken on the same day with the same light came out differently. After comparing my thermometers I was amazed at how off they were against each other. Being a serious cook I had purchase a Thermopen a while back and decided to start using it instead, in the chemical processing. I compared my other devices with it, they were all out of wack. I Immediately started getting consistent results and have not looked back since.
Last week Thermopen announced the new ONE SECOND reading model and I am considering on getting that model as well. My model takes about three seconds to read and is now on sale for $69 so I just thought I would share this with those of you who might be interested.
It is a sound investment, I also have one of their top of the line IR guns, I use that when printing as well by just keeping an eye on the trays. It’s another great tool for cooking, I know when my pizza oven stones are at 725 and it’s time to start cooking.....

I have been using the same dial thermometer for more than 40 years. I have checked it against other thermometers and none agreed. Ultimately, it really does not matter as long as you use the same thermometer every time and have adjusted your process to that thermometer. I cannot find my glass Kodak process thermometer and don't really miss it.

Digital thermometers are not very accurate. They may read to a fine degree of resolution, like 1/10 degree, but I have not seen any with accuracy of better than +- 1 degree. That means if the thermometer says 20C, the real temp could be anywhere from 19C to 21C, a big difference that you will see in your film.

In the past, the Kodak Process Thermometer was the best, but it was a mercury thermometer and is no longer made. The Paterson Color Thermometer is accurate to, I think +- 1/4 degree. Its what I use and my results are consistent.

Dial thermometers are the worst for accuracy. I would not use one.

I think it's a topic that runs hot and cold around here.

Consistence that comes from using and knowing the same tools is IMHO highly underrated.

It's great to hear what different folks are having success with.

Thanks!

B2 (;->

I have Fluke thermocouple thermometers and Omega engineering K and J type thermocouples. While expensive, I bought them in a univesity surplus sale years ago and have been worth every penny
In reality as long as your thermometer marks the same all the time (consistent) your results should be also consistent.

Back