Other/Uncategorized CHIYODA KOGAKU (MINOLTA) 5cm f1.8 Super Rokkor LTM fitting

Other Screw mount bodies/lenses
Chiyoko made a chrome 46mm screw-in hood (2-piece with series adapter) for the 50mm f1.8. They also made a similar 43mm job for the f2 lens. Of course, any 46mm screw-in or 48mm clamp-on hood will work on the f1.8.

Also, I wouldn't too much effort into lens coating color; it's like reading tea leaves. Optical houses refined their coating technology routinely, and, as reflected phenomena, coating "colors" depends on the color of light in the room. I doubt you can infer quality by a particular reflected color.

Cheers,

David

I got this picture some time ago. Perhaps this is the first part of a complete hood, based on David information.

Chiyoko_50mm_f1.8_body.JPG

As for me, I use a Walz 46mm screw-on vented hood.

Hi,

I know this topic is a few months old already, but I think I can provide some additional information.

Of the several 'normal' Super Rokkor lenses (45mm 1:2.8 / 5cm 1:2.8 / 5cm 1:2.0 / 5cm 1:1.8), only the 45mm does have a 'regular' hood, i.e. a one-piece hood.

All hoods for 5cm Super Rokkor lenses come in two parts: a ring that screws in the lens, and the hood itself that screws in the ring. This allows for a Series filter to be placed between the ring and the hood.

The hoods for the 5cm 1:2.8 and 1:2.0 are almost identical; but of course the ring is different (I don't have calipers on-hand, but I think the first is 41mm while the latter is 43mm).
The hood for the 5cm 1:1.8 is much larger, and it's painted black.

On the picture attached, you can see:
  • top left corner : ring & hood for the 5cm 1:1.8
  • top right corner : ring & hood for the 5cm 1:2.8
  • lower left corner : ring & hood for the 5cm 1:2.0
  • lower right corner : hood for the 45mm 1:2.8
About the production numbers for this lens: probably around 9,000 units.

Attachments

• Super_Rokkor_hoods_web.jpg
    Super_Rokkor_hoods_web.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 4
My MINOLTA-35 MODEL II

My MINOLTA-35 MODEL II

Saw this thread last Thursday!

Dug out mine and ran a roll of WallyWorld ASA 200 color through it while walking in the garden, Sunday.

It's been so long I almost forgot how to work a camera with only three options; Shutter, aperture, & focus

Will get a CD back and let you know my humble opinion.

Saw this thread last Thursday!

Dug out mine and ran a roll of WallyWorld ASA 200 color through it while walking in the garden, Sunday.

It's been so long I almost forgot how to work a camera with only three options; Shutter, aperture, & focus

Will get a CD back and let you know my humble opinion.

Interested in your opinion... Any samples?

I have watched this thread for a long time and am now able to post my comments. Great lens, mine is #1201xxx, and has a metric scale mounted on a IIB, # 108xxx, but bought at separate times. One of my favorite Leica copy cameras after seeking for many years. Both of mine came through Hong Kong.

managed eventually to find one #1301xxx (meters), together with a IIB, # 108xxx. Nice lens - agree it has a canon 50/1.4 and fujinon 50/2 feel. Will plan to shot a roll shortly. The camera is beautiful, although considering that it is a '56-57 looks less advanced than contemporary canons (VT)

Hello,
Many thanks for your photo's and information about the Minolta lens hoods for the various standard lenses.
I see that you think that the 50mm f1.8 production figure was around 9000 units.
This could very well be the case for the total production of this lens which was done in both LTM fitting (4000-5000 units) and Super-A fitting (4000-? units).
Hi,
I'm talking only about the LTM version only.
Unlike some other manufacturers like Leitz, Minolta never released official production numbers, so all we can do now is track serial numbers - not quite as accurate!
However, given a big enough sample, it can't be far from the truth. Also, it's consistent with the number of Minolta 35 IIB produced.

I don't have a big enough sample for Super-A lenses.

To all participants in this thread: I'll always looking for more serial numbers, so feel free to share these, here or in private if you prefer! :)

@Lightshow: I like the 5cm 1:2.0, it's a good lens overall, with some nice bokeh. :)

optical glass & Chiyoda Kogaku

optical glass & Chiyoda Kogaku

Just read this thread. Occupation records indicate that Chiyoda Kogaku's optical glass making capacity in the post-war period was 5 tons annually. By contrast, Nippon Kogaku (Nikon) had the capacity of 100 tons. So, they were probably melting their own glass for their own optics.
The first Minolta 35 is notorious for promoting the 24X32 format. The camera was sold in the post exchanges in 1949-1950, but whether this was after the camera was converted to an eight-sprocket advance is not known at this time. As others have noted, the camera was apparently never imported into the US, although the non-thread- mount Minoltas were. The roll-film Minoltas were far more important to the company than their 35mm model until the SR2 of 1958. WES

I presume you mean only the trucncated frame Minolta's, because if the other Minolta 35's were never imported into the U.S., why have I seen thousands of them for sale over the last 10-15 years on eBay? I assume these were marketed here and not brought back by soldiers. BTW it's an excellent and generally underrated camera (if recently serviced). The faster of the 5cm LTM lenses made for it are quite excellent, the slower 45mm F2.8 is just a so-so performer, but a nicely made collectible for sure.

Of course this thread will probably lead to an upswing in prices for these lenses!

Hi all,

Wes, what you are saying is very interesting, thank you! Are these Occupation records available to the public?
Minolta opened the Itami plant for making optical glass at some point during WW2, so it makes sense that the capacity of that plant would be somewhat limited right after the war.

About the import of Minolta-35 rangefinders in the USA: I'm pretty sure these were unofficially imported (i.e. by 3rd party dealers) after the war.
It was also in PX.
In any case, this market was big enough that Minolta made an English language version of the user manual.

About the lenses: there is a very, very rare 3,5cm 1:3.5 Super Rokkor for sale on eBay right now (http://www.ebay.com/itm/281405233167).
I wonder how much this will go for? This is not easy to find at all, and the accessories are also are to find (there's the lens cap, and also the viewfinder).

Back