Choosing a FED 2

Dez: I already own a Zorki 4K but I'm awaiting a lens to come in to start using it (Industar 61 LD). I think ideally I'm rounding out the FSU part of my 35mm rangefinder collection with the FED 2 and then finally a Kiev 4A. On the medium format front, my first camera was a Kiev 88. I would not be opposed to getting a Moskva 5 if the opportunity presents or an Iskra.

As for the FED 2, I am ideally looking for one with a Jupiter 8 so I can swap between my Zorki and FED. It seems the majority has the Industar 26M bundled though. A Jupiter 12 would be nice as well, but am I safe to assume I would need an accessory viewfinder?

Hi, Clive,

Yes, you would need an accessory finder for the Jupiter 12. I don't know of any FSU camera with a 35mm finder, although the full field of the Leningrad finder is a decent approximation. The J12 is a really excellent lens and superb value for money. It is cheap in LTM, and even cheaper in Contax/Kiev mount. As several people pointed out, there are lots of choices for auxiliary finders, and these do not need to be expensive.

OK on the Moskva 5- I have one of these, and it is a very good camera indeed. Re the Kiev, though, I would advise going for something older than a 4A. Kievs were in production for over thirty years, but over this period they gradually slid from a level of quality that was in some ways superior to that of the Contaxes of which they were a copy, to at the very end, cameras that were best used for landfill. You can still get a good 4A of course, and many people on the list are getting great results from theirs, but statistically, the older the better. You would do well to look for a good 50's Kiev 2 or 2A (sync added). Kievs are almost always found with J8 lenses.

Cheers,
Dez

Hi,

Get any version of the FED and a Jupiter 8 or Industar 61 and you should be happy. There are differences between them but you'll only find what you like by using the thing.

BTW, any FED 2 or Kiev may be 50 or more years old. After so long QC doesn't matter so much compared to what the previous owner or owners did or didn't do with it.

In your shoes I'd pick a good looking one and get it checked and repaired or adjusted before even putting a film in it. No point in wasting money on film etc before you know the thing will work. This applies to all second-hand cameras, even Leicas...

Regards, David

Interesting, does that mean that with a later FED 2 (starting with the D-series I think) you can set the shutter anytime?
The rules are much simpler than you might think: (1) If it has slow speeds fitted - don't set before. (2) If it has a two-piece dial (inner part with a dot or line, outer part with speeds marked) - set before or after. For single-piece dials, you cannot see the speed you've set anyway until it's cocked, so it's pretty pointless. Rule 1 overrides rule 2 (since there happens to be an early FED 3a with slow speeds and a 2-piece dial!). A safe approach if you're unsure is don't set before cocking.

The "rules" apply to FED/Zorki models. On Kievs you can set before or after and no harm will be done. However, it's possible to "confuse" the mechanics if you change (un-cocked) between some of the slower speeds and you might not get the speed you expected until the next frame after.

Last edited:
The rules are much simpler than you might think: (1) If it has slow speeds fitted - don't set before. (2) If it has a two-piece dial (inner part with a dot or line, outer part with speeds marked) - set before or after. For single-piece dials, you cannot see the speed you've set anyway until it's cocked, so it's pretty pointless. Rule 1 overrides rule 2 (since there happens to be an early FED 3a with slow speeds and a 2-piece dial!). A safe approach if you're unsure is don't set before cocking.

The "rules" apply to FED/Zorki models. On Kievs you can set before or after and no harm will be done. However, it's possible to "confuse" the mechanics if you change (un-cocked) between some of the slower speeds and you might not get the speed you expected until the next frame after.

I like your definition of simple! :)

Back