Choosing between Pixii vs used M10

Between 2021 and 2022, I had Advance Camera service (restore) three Kodak Retina IIc cameras. In all cases, the quoted turnaround time was 12 weeks; in all cases, they returned them in 10 weeks, and the work was done beautifully ... they are like new, work perfectly! ... and at a fair/reasonable price.

Thus far, I have no complaints with Advance. I have one more Retina (a IIIc with a dead meter and a dented top, it will get a IIc top and eliminate the meter) that is overdue to send in for its overhaul. Perhaps in January. :)

My M4-2 needs a shutter service, has needed it for a decade. I'll likely send that to Don Goldberg in the Spring.

My solution to the long wait times of most camera service has simply been to have a couple of backups when I dependent upon the equipment for my living. One piece of equipment goes down: I pull out the backup and send the other in for service. Saves a lot of angst. Even though I'm no longer depending on the cameras for my income, I maintain the same policy for the peace of mind it affords.

G

Well, Godfrey, you are unique and singular in your experience. And I bet you can always get a cab in Manhattan when it is raining, too.

OK, I am biased as an unabashed Francophile, a fan of the different and new (if it works), and own a Pixii and have since they came out with the A1571. It is fun. It takes good pictures. I am in the developer's channel so sometimes the firmware/software is not quite ready for prime time. On balance it is a good camera. Try the Pixii group on FB for info and support and the Pixii group on Flickr for examples of what the images can look like.

Pixii FB: Log into Facebook

Pixii Flickr: Pixii et New Pixii

Have you ever flown Air France? It’ll exorcise that Franco thang outta ya.

Have you ever flown Air France? It’ll exorcise that Franco thang outta ya.

I flew Air France a long time ago, in '63, to the US and back to France. It was great both ways but when they were reversing engines in-air, that made me sweat a bit. Airlines now are awful, crowded buses of trailer trash in shorts and sandals with bad breath and no manners. NY subways have more class. The flight attendants must be gagging. And this can all be experienced in a seat hardly big enough for a small child that has almost no leg room. I'll take the Air France of the 60's all day, any day.

I thought the main reason on choosing a M10 over a pixii was the FF advantages. It becomes a moot point when they say you can have smaller lenses on a aspc; yet m lenses are already the smallest on the market.
Aspc and Leica m mount doesn't hold water...and to make the differentiation purely as a market share strategy does nothing but hold back the consumer. See the issues that Pixii had to address with the latest version to overcome the problems arising from using a m mount on an aspc body.
If Pixii goes global shutter and full frame I'll be all over it.

As most of us do not do predominantly night shots at faster than 1/60 the problem is not a big deal. It isn't for me. And I believe this is an LED light problem only. So the shutter problem exists but is a problem rarely in common usage.

The biggest complaint is that it is not a Leica. I have some Leicas. I like them. I like the Pixii, too. I like that, too. The folks who do not like the Pixii are in two camps: those who have owned one and those who have not. Pixii has a generous 30 day return policy. This return policy does not help those who have not owned a Pixii.

According to the terms of sale return will incur 10% restocking fee and customer is responsible for shipping which I assume is about 80EUR (as that is shipping cost during checkout) on top of the there is import take which I'm not sure how much that would be. So it's about 315 + 80 EUR which is about 430USD not counting import tax.

Which I suppose is not terrible if you consider that renting Leica M10 for a week costs roughly the same. Still I find it difficult to justify (should have probably ordered while they had a sale)

Sorry for the basic question, but are there used M10s for the same price as a new Pixii+ (or even cheaper used A2572 - seen two up for sale this month)?

According to the terms of sale return will incur 10% restocking fee and customer is responsible for shipping which I assume is about 80EUR (as that is shipping cost during checkout) on top of the there is import take which I'm not sure how much that would be. So it's about 315 + 80 EUR which is about 430USD not counting import tax.

Which I suppose is not terrible if you consider that renting Leica M10 for a week costs roughly the same. Still I find it difficult to justify (should have probably ordered while they had a sale)

Well, there you go. You have solved your problem.

There is a lot of info here in the FB group: Log into Facebook

The RF patch can be troublesome. There is a new RF for the camera available as an upgrade or, I am sure, on a new one. The shutter button is electronic not mechanical so it has a soft feel. The built-in shutter sound is wimpy.; OTOH it makes nice pictures. What are your priorities? Here's a few from a folder I have from the newest iteration, the A2572: Pixii A2572

Added later. The camera reminds me of the dpgs I had for 30 years, Schipperkes. Schipperke is Belgian for "bad dog." OK, that's a joke, it means "little shepherd" They were bred down from a large shepherd breed. They are endearing but can be independent minded. Like the camera, they come in black. They are great dogs. The camera is a great camera.

This tonight into the light CV 35mm f/1.4 Nokton II, f/4.0: Flickr link"

View attachment 4829622

It's not about the camera. Lovely images!

I can only give opinion from a comparison between XPro-3, that I have, and the M10-Monochrome and M10-R, that I borrowed from a friend for some extended time. When using film, I usually use a black Leica M4 or screwmount Leica. Compared to the Leica M4, the M10 gives the real rangefinder experience different from the XPro-3. The difference for me is the location of the focusing patch, center of the VF vs lower right edge. For me it doesn't make a big difference, I can manually focus both types of camera almost the same way. However, the XPro-3 has adjustable diopter, very important for me, the Leica cameras lack that feature. The menu of the XPro-3 is much easier to navigate, switching between features is easy. Biggest issues with the digital Leica are their price tags and missing weather resistance. In summary, the exorbitant high price of the digital Leica in combination with their lack of features compared to the Fuji XPro-3 more than compensates for the missing true rangefinder experience, that is no digital Leica M for me.
I also had both the X-Pro3 and a Leica M10. Sold the X-Pro3. Nuff said.

I sent the Pixii back and bought an M10 Monochrom. What testing the Pixii taught me was that I really liked having a monochrome digital camera, despite that the Pixii was not a good fit for me due to its haptics and a few minor issues.

The Leica M10 Monochrom is, without a doubt, one of the best cameras I've ever used, and I've used a lot of good cameras over the years. :)

G

Here is one I cannot explain but post here for you to see and think about. I was poking around on my Flickr account last night and for the hell of it decided to see what were the most popular images. A photo of an old De Soto in the Blackhawk Museum in Blackhawk, CA, on an A7 was #1 followed by a photo of a doorway in Patzcuaro on a Sony DSC S70 was #2 and then a few more and then the bulk of the next 20 or 30 images were all Pixii with a Jupiter 8. So regardless of what you think of the camera, folks hitting my page on Flickr seem to prefer the Pixii over all, even the beloved and revered Leicas. It does render nice color.

The current fave is the X2D in hits. Pixii and X2D are not the most posted images.

Here is one I cannot explain but post here for you to see and think about. I was poking around on my Flickr account last night and for the hell of it decided to see what were the most popular images. A photo of an old De Soto in the Blackhawk Museum in Blackhawk, CA, on an A7 was #1 followed by a photo of a doorway in Patzcuaro on a Sony DSC S70 was #2 and then a few more and then the bulk of the next 20 or 30 images were all Pixii with a Jupiter 8. So regardless of what you think of the camera, folks hitting my page on Flickr seem to prefer the Pixii over all, even the beloved and revered Leicas. It does render nice color.

The current fave is the X2D in hits. Pixii and X2D are not the most posted images.
I`m not sure that you can draw too firm a conclusion as to the reason people like a photograph. It might be because the person in it reminds them of their Aunt Maude. I`m being flippant .
Tonality /colour and all that stuff ( so apparently important on this board ) don`t seem to be far down the list if indeed they factor into it at all from what I`ve observed. I must read up about the Pixii .I must admit to being largely unaware of it.

I`m not sure that you can draw too firm a conclusion as to the reason people like a photograph. It might be because the person in it reminds them of their Aunt Maude. I`m being flippant .
Tonality /colour and all that stuff ( so apparently important on this board ) don`t seem to be far down the list if indeed they factor into it at all from what I`ve observed. I must read up about the Pixii .I must admit to being largely unaware of it.

Agreed, it is impossible to divine why these Pixii/J8 pics are popular. But they are generally not of people so much as scenes around town down by the docks. I like Pixii color. It is good. And as good as it is with that sweet J8 I should try it with the Skyllaney Bertele Sonnar which generates edible color on an M9.

Last edited:
Back