Cinematographer compares film to digi simulation

Local time
6:24 PM
This is pretty fascinating. This cinematographer loves to use film but has come around to thinking that capture medium is, in fact, meaningless when it comes to creating a desired look. He has been working on his film-simulation prep for a decade and came up with this head-to-head test between the two mediums.

http://www.yedlin.net/DisplayPrepDemo/

Download the hi-res version and watch on a good screen: it's pretty amazing. I certainly have no idea which the film is in the many comparisons here.

I got this off of Rian Johnson's twitter.
J

Man who invents film simulation program says you don't need film...

Man who makes movies for big screen uses small screen to show off quality...

Yeah, right.

Cheers,

R.

I say the same thing I always have. I like film and I like digital. I shoot both.

I do not choose to shoot film because of any supposed advantage it has over digital. I just shoot film because I *like* to shoot film. I shoot digital because I *like* to shoot digital.

Film does have a certain look, and while I realize that emulation may (or perhaps has) reached the point where I cannot tell the difference, to me it is hardly the point.

It is similar, in my mind, to software that audio engineers use to emulate the 'click and pop' of vinyl records. Oh dear. See, I love vinyl records, but the click and pop are not the reason I listen to them - in fact, I try to get rid of that garbage in my vinyl records. Just like 'film emulation,' it misses the point.

I shoot film, when I shoot film, because I want to shoot film. Digital cannot replace that because it is not film. When I want to shoot digital, I do that. And film cannot be digital, so it cannot replace that for me either.

"Tastes just like chicken." Well, yeah, but it ain't chicken, now, is it? Take this tofu away and bring me some effin' chicken.

Back