CLE, How the light meter works?

Yachah

Local time
1:09 AM
Does anyone know how the light meter on CLE works?
Spot, Centerweight, or Average....
and how many percent?
I know it's quite a complicate metering system.. of the film and of the shutter..

It's kind of difficult for me to understand... ;)

(sorry for my broken English)

That is 100% from curtain compared to from the film plane. At slower shutter speeds the CLE meter reads and adjusts exposure directly from the film plane (as the shutter curtain is of course open).

The percentage of the curtain or film plane area that is metered is different. The CLE is a center-weighted meter, so it's reading a center circle more heavily. I bet that the owners manual (easy to find online) will provide a diagram showing the size of this center space.

Anyway, whatever it does, it sucks. In fact, the only way to avoid poorly exposed photos, is to meter before shooting, and then set the aperture and speed manually. Minolta somehow manages to screw up the exposure when set to AE - it does not apply the same reading you can see in the VF when framing the shot.

Anyway, whatever it does, it sucks. In fact, the only way to avoid poorly exposed photos, is to meter before shooting, and then set the aperture and speed manually. Minolta somehow manages to screw up the exposure when set to AE - it does not apply the same reading you can see in the VF when framing the shot.

Is it a common flaw in every CLE? :eek:

I've had two CLE bodies for years, and have found the meter does a fine job of finding a useful exposure. Occasionally I'll meter away from the subject, and then set it manually. Mike, perhaps yours is out of adjustment?

Metering for the usual hand-held exposures is off the dotted shutter curtains in a center-weighted pattern. For long exposures and flash, the meter reads light reflected from the film surface during the exposure, as said because then the shutter is open...:) It is able to quench an appropriate flash to achieve proper exposure.

Last edited:
I've found the CLE generally does a very good job at metering under "normal" conditions. However, I have had some problems with underexposure in poor lighting which required 1 or more seconds of shutter time. It probably has more to do with my limited experience with the CLE than anything.

The spots on the shutter curtain are the metering points.

My CLE's AE is fine for most daylight and open shade photos. It struggles a bit in dimly lit interiors, or with strongly backlit subjects. The metering pattern seems to be a large. center-weighted oval. The system reads off the film plane or the patterned shutter. The cell is at the bottom of the lens mount opening, angled toward the film plane.

Consistently bad exposures indicate a need for cleaning and/or adjustment, but mine has been fine for close to 20 years.

I have user Minolta CLE quite a lot, and it remains my favorite camera all the time.
From my observation, it uses center weighted meter all over the scene. During long exposure (<= 1/30s), it adds TTL metering whe taking pictures, so the shutter speed is different from the original reading.
Some CLE may get problems with electronics, which the shutter reading is unstable and shoots at 1/1000s at AE mode. It will need repair although technician has told me the circuit board is quite complex and difficult to repiar...

I wanted to revive this thread. For longer exposures, when the CLE meters off the film plane, does the shade of the film stock matter? I have some film with a much darker emulsion side than some other films...

Interesting question, Doug. Like mrlazyli above the CLE is an all-time favorite camera since I got one new in 1982. I don't recall hearing of any tests on the exposure effects of emulsion tint.

But the meter adjusts exposure based on light reflected off the film only in two circumstances, both rare for me. First, of course, it's able to quench a Minolta flash based on TTL light. Second, long exposures where the meter has time to recalculate (while the shutter is open) the predicted exposure (based on previous reflectance from the shutter curtain pattern), if the light level changes during the exposure (based on reflectance from the film). Naturally, any exposure adjustment would be done through changing the closing timing of the second shutter curtain.

I’m not sure how the CLE measures (I guess it does it weighted), but mine does it very precisely in any condition - and mean, any. With ISO 100 film under strong sunlight with snow, or with 3200, pushed to 6400 during the night - I never had an issue with this camera

I bought a CLE new when it was introduced (with the 40 only). Then I panicked when it was discontinued two years later because I couldn't afford Leica lenses.
Then I have bought another CLE ago, and it is still with me.
I have never taken a photo in AE.
For me the only and major flaw of the CLE is the unmetered manual mode. It is also an inexplicable design choice in my opinion

Back