CLE Shutter Speed with Flash - Slower than 1/60?

Local time
2:50 PM
I've been using a TTL flash on my CLE and while I see the flashing 60 in my viewfinder, at times my flash is slower than 1/60 (based on the shutter sound when it fires).

Is this more so because there's legitimately not enough light and it's compensating? I was under the impression that the flash would remain 1/60 regardless of sufficient/insufficient light?

Thanks in advance!

It would be unreasonable if you were limited to a single shutterspeed if using flash. I can't see why slower shutter speeds than 1/60 wouldn't be used when in aperture priority mode and using flash.

Are you saying that the flash is slow (?) or that the shutter is?

If you're talking about the shutter firing at a lower shutter speed than 1/60 for flash, I doubt the CLE had that feature in Aperture Priority Mode.

Slow flash synch shutter speeds in Aperture Priority Mode were not introduced in Minolta SLRs until the X-570, and that feature was engaged by pressing down on the AEL (auto-exposure lock) button during flash exposure. The X-700 didn't have that feature, nor did previous Minolta SLRs, as they didn't have TTL flash.

In the case of the CLE, I would expect that you could choose slower shutter speeds for flash in Manual Mode, but not in Aperture Priority Mode, unless Minolta approached it in a different way from that used in future SLRs.

- Murray

48740012.JPG

Here's an example, you can tell the shutter stays open somewhat longer than it needs to (comparing the top of the exposure vs. the bottom of the exposure.

The expected outcome would be the flash would fire, shutterspeed @ 1/60, and if it's underexposed, it's underexposed correct?

1. The 1/60 light in the viewfinder is flashing (so the flash on the top of the body is being registered)
2. I'm using a Nikon SB-30 flash

Thanks for all your help.

You're using a Nikon flash dedicated to work on certain Nikon cameras.

The different camera manufacturers all made flashes with proprietary dedication to their own cameras. I would fear that using a dedicated flash for another brand could damage the circuitry of the camera in question (unless you have specific information that Nikon and Minolta used exactly the same dedication). There is no telling what a Nikon flash is communicating to a Minolta camera.

As far as I know, Minolta made only one flash specifically dedicated to this camera, and it was Minolta's first camera with TTL flash. I don't even know if the TTL flash dedication for the X-700 and X-570 would work on the older CLE.

- Murray

Back