Collapsible I61 L/D in Contax Mount.

Sonnar Brian

Product of the Fifties
Staff member
Local time
8:31 AM
So I had TWO I-61L/D's. Now one is adjusted for the Leica,

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91163

and this is how to make one for your Contax, Kiev, or Nikon RF.
Tools and Parts required for the Job. The Contax mount is from a Zeiss 5cm F2 converted to LTM, using a J-8 in LTM. The J-8 optics module will not fit into the Sonnar shell. But- the I61 has the same thread, correct back-focus, and will fit perfectly.

picture.php

The aperture ring must be filed down so that the optics module can be screwed in far enough to the mount.

picture.php

The retaining ring must come off. I use needle nosed pliers, a thin screwdriver will work.

Slide the retaining ring off.

picture.php

The Ball-Bearing is under the aperture ring. It falls out, I use some tape to trap it.

picture.php

Last edited:
picture.php

The aperture ring has a rim around it- which must be filed down. It needs to be almost flush.

picture.php

It is a soft aluminum, and files down easily.

Last edited:
Getting ready for re-assemble.

picture.php

Getting the aperture ring back on: this screw will line up with the hole in the ring. Easiest to set the aperture wide-open, then line up for F2.

Slip the retainign ring back on.

picture.php

You will need to use your camera to set the lens to agree with the viewfinder. I use a negative strip with scotch tape over it, and a loupe when working with the camera.

picture.php

I get to cheat- use an adapter with the TTL viewer. When I want a Nikon RF lens, I set the lens to agree with the 5cm F1.4. When I want a Contax lens, I set it to agree with a Sonnar.

picture.php

picture.php

Final step: I use some epoxy to set the lens in the mount. You could mark the position of the lens, and make a shim. Better, but takes a lot of time. These are not expensive lenses, and this method "just works".

Great to see that optics module get used again.

Thanks for the excellent information - I see my problem was in not realizing that I needed to file down the aperture ring. No wonder it wouldn't go in far enough! :bang:

William

Back