Color-Skopar 50mm f/2.5 vs Elmar 2.8

aoresteen

Well-known
Local time
12:52 AM
Tom,

I'm in the market for a small 50mm lens for my IIIf. I can't find a lot of information on the Color-Skopar 50mm f/2.5. What I do read is that a lot of people don't like it. With 7 elements it should be terrific. Why the negative reports?

What is your expierence with it? How does it compare to the Elmar 50mm f/2.8 in Leica screw? Ive read good things about the Elmar 2.8 and I had one but I haven't printed any of my negatives made with it since the early 80's and being in Iraq, I can't look at them right now.

If I could do it I'd have the Zeiss 50mm f/2.8 Tessar taken out of my Contaflex Super and mounted in Leica screw mount RF coupled and I would be happy. I'd even keep the 27mm filter size! :D

Thanks for your advice!

I'm in the market for a small 50mm lens for my IIIf. I can't find a lot of information on the Color-Skopar 50mm f/2.5. What I do read is that a lot of people don't like it. With 7 elements it should be terrific. Why the negative reports?
I have one, and you'll hear nothing negative from me about it. I think it's a great lens - sharpness and contrast are both pretty good.

i finally used my cv 50/2.5 this past weekend and have posted a shot made with it in the saturday shoot out thread and on my flickr account.
i wondered what it would be like as well after hearing the negatives about it but am pleasantly surprised at it's performance.
it's a hefty little lens that seems really well built.

joe

I have heard good and bad. The bad people liked the 50 1.5 CV.

I looked at one and filters fit where the lens shade screws in and then the shade screws into a double threaded filter which are increasingly less common.
Now everybody is gluing the retaing rings in rather than threading. Cost savings.

Without double threaded filters, you can`t use the shade and a filter.

There are now some VC 50/2.5 shots posted in my gallery here. Look for
"VC 50/2.5 tests Delta 400". Should be the top four B&Ws. Cooments and questions are welcome; this is from my first roll with the lens, and the light around here has been high overcast for most of the time.

Back