Commercial Ektar

Frank Marshman is the expert on Ikex / Acme shutters. I've had him work on several #4 and #5 shutters for me and rebuilt an ancient black #5 that I have. Frank told me he still has parts to rebuild any of the Ilex / Acme shutters. He's quite reasonable and fast too.

Thanks. I 'knew' that;guess I just needed that confirmed. Now that I think of it, we spoke about LF at some length when I had him recondition my GSW 690 a while back. I'll give him a call.

Second Frank Marshman. Quick but he can be difficult to get ahold of in my experience (he has retired). Nice Guy and he will fix you up.

The commercial Ektar lenses are excellent. I've owned a 12 and 14 and 10" widefield plus used them several places I worked. If you like the Tessar type Commercial Ektar you'd like the Fujinon L series. Like the Kodak CE lenses the Fujinon L is a Tessar design and perform comparably with the Kodak but the Fuji have harder coatings although single coated like the Kodak. The Fuji are typically in superior Copal #3 shutters. I own a 420mm L and couldn't be more pleased.

Also Ilex made many Tessar design lenses under the name Ilex Paragon that were excellent as well. Paragon was generic name like Ektar and didn't designate any particular design. You'll need to know which are Tessar formula but many are.

Schneider made the Xenar and Wollensak made the Raptar which in the case of the Xenar was always a Tessar design. The Raptar again was a generic name but many were Tessars. A lot of other companies made excellent Tessar lenses. If you're looking for other focal length other makes can often be picked up for a song. And Wollensak, Ilex, Schneider and Fuji lenses perform equay with the CE at cheaper prices. The Ektars unfortunately have become cult lenses.

The commercial Ektar lenses are excellent. I've owned a 12 and 14 and 10" widefield plus used them several places I worked. If you like the Tessar type Commercial Ektar you'd like the Fujinon L series. Like the Kodak CE lenses the Fujinon L is a Tessar design and perform comparably with the Kodak but the Fuji have harder coatings although single coated like the Kodak. The Fuji are typically in superior Copal #3 shutters. I own a 420mm L and couldn't be more pleased.

Also Ilex made many Tessar design lenses under the name Ilex Paragon that were excellent as well. Paragon was generic name like Ektar and didn't designate any particular design. You'll need to know which are Tessar formula but many are.

Schneider made the Xenar and Wollensak made the Raptar which in the case of the Xenar was always a Tessar design. The Raptar again was a generic name but many were Tessars. A lot of other companies made excellent Tessar lenses. If you're looking for other focal length other makes can often be picked up for a song. And Wollensak, Ilex, Schneider and Fuji lenses perform equay with the CE at cheaper prices. The Ektars unfortunately have become cult lenses.

Then I consider myself fortunate to have found this one for less than $200. Even if it does need some TLC, I know I'll wind up keeping this one. Will look into the Fujis, I have a 90mm SWC and it's a fine lens.

That's a fine lens you have, as noted by that wonderful shot. The two Ektars I've owned over the years were some of the best lenses I have ever used. Not the most contrast, but really sharp. The first was a 203 Ektar that was used on a Crown Graphic w/ excellent results, and a 50 Ektar on a Retina Ia. The Retina lens was one of the sharpest 35mm lenses I ever used. Maybe the sharpest. My 203 was in the same shutter you have, which was difficult to get consistent exposures with. Probably could have benefited of a CLA on mine.

That's a fine lens you have, as noted by that wonderful shot. The two Ektars I've owned over the years were some of the best lenses I have ever used. Not the most contrast, but really sharp. The first was a 203 Ektar that was used on a Crown Graphic w/ excellent results, and a 50 Ektar on a Retina Ia. The Retina lens was one of the sharpest 35mm lenses I ever used. Maybe the sharpest. My 203 was in the same shutter you have, which was difficult to get consistent exposures with. Probably could have benefited of a CLA on mine.
A friend gave me a 203 Ektar many years ago and i foolishly got rid of it. About twelve years ago I found a super clean 203 f7.7 Ektar in a Compur shutter at a really nice price and bought it. I still have it and will keep it.

The 203 f7.7 is a totally different formula than the Commercial Ektar. As mentioned above the Commercial lenses are Tessar 4/3 formulas. The 203 f7.7 is a 4/4 formula. four elements in four groups air spaced. It's symmetrical and well suited for close work. It's very close in design to the Goerz (red dot) Artar with 4/4 formula. The downside of these are the smaller image circle but resolution is outstanding.

The 12's and 14's bring the big bucks if they have good glass. I paid $250 or so a few years ago for a mint 14" and found a new, yes new, Ilex / Kodak shutter as a spare. It' my understanding Kodak / Ilex shutters had a different opening size than the standard Ilex so shutters could not be interchanged with other brands. Unfortunately Kodak had soft coatings and the lenses are often scratched and damaged now. It's getting hard to find Commercial Ektars with pristine glass.

Not to hijack the discussion, but my f7.7 / 203mm Ektar is one of the finest lenses out there (mine is in an original Kodak shutter). My modern Apo-Sironar-S 210 beats it ever so slightly, but in terms of coverage/movements and sharpness is a wonderful bargain !

Talked to Frank yesterday and my 8 1/2" Commercial Ektar is on the way home. Yipee!! Was not happy to hear of the problems he's having with an old home suffering from too much rain; hoping he's having good luck with all that. Thanks again, Frank!

Kenny

Back