Carl Zeiss LTM Compared: new Lomo J3+, original J3, Zeiss Sonnar, Nokton 50

Carl Zeiss M39 lenses
That's an interesting comparison, I have the new Nokton and an old J3.

The J3 has a nicer bokeh IMO, but the main problem is that the minimum focusing distance is 1 mt you I cannot take full advantage of its qualities for portraits and close ups.

Questions about the J3+: is the minimum focusing distance 80 cm as reported? And does the aperture have clicks?

I am looking to get a fast lens to use on my Reid & Sigrist III. I am a big fan of the Opton Sonnar, which I use on my Contax IIA. It has been rumoured that you can mount the optical cell of a Contax RF Opton Sonnar in the focusing mount of a Jupiter J3. However another authority says you can only mount the optical cell of the pre-war uncoated Sonnar in the J3 mount. Has anyone any actual experience of this, as I don't want to buy another Opton Sonnar plus the minor expense of a ratty J3, only to find I have a spare lens for my Contax IIA. I have an adapter from Contax RF to Leica M and could buy another from Contax RF to LTM but to be frank, these adapters are not something you would want to be using on a regular basis, as they have a very very long focus throw.

Wilson

Back