Considering G2 (Black)

N

NoTx

Hello all!

Well, here is an odd question. Is the black version of the G2 glossy or kind of sedate? Many times people seem to go, “neat digital” (I wish) or get their eyes caught on my G1. Being I use it as my street camera... this annoys me to no end. I just want to scream and yell “Go back to what you were doing... this is not the camera you are looking for... move along... move along.” Arrgh. Ok. So I was thinking. The G2 is quieter than a G1, at least on the slower shutter settings. A black camera usually is less noticed (it does not draw your eye). So I was thinking of maybe redoing my kit in black and trying that instead of grabbing a Leica (the MP shutter if freaking louder than the darn g2).

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

I've seen the black one in a FNAC in Lisbon- it's beautiful.

I've had a normal Ti G2- the lenses are great, the camera is louder than a Leica by quite a bit, but it's got a great feel to it, and was more capable of this photographer.

It's also the only camera I've gotten rid of for which I experience any kind of sellers remorse.

I only got to compare one (a Ti) in a store next to a MP. The shutter on the MP was louder, but the advance made the sound last longer on the G2. Irritating.

Is the black shinny or more of a dull traditional black?

It was a dull black, with a polish. In other words, it wasn't a completely flat appearance, but didn't reflect specularly.

How's that?

If the shutter on a G was quieter than the MP, there was probably something wrong with the MP. My M-3 is quieter than my M-6, and a new MP I compared in the store was pretty close to the M-3. The Contax of course has that winding to deal with, but there's a way around that...

jdos2 said:
It was a dull black, with a polish. In other words, it wasn't a completely flat appearance, but didn't reflect specularly.

How's that?

Sounding appealing.

jdos2 said:
If the shutter on a G was quieter than the MP, there was probably something wrong with the MP.

It was a floor model at Samy's Camera. It might just be the tones you hear when it snapped. The M7 was quieter.

jdos2 said:
a new MP I compared in the store was pretty close to the M-3. The Contax of course has that winding to deal with, but there's a way around that...

Ok. This totally peeked my intrest.

How?

Heeheehee! Delayed winding... Shoot in "multi exposure" Set it to wind later when you have more latitude for noise.

As I've said before, I truly miss my G2 and if it weren't for Life As Usual, I'd still have it.

Essentially, yes. Set it back to any mode other than multiple exposure, and it'll wind on. The shutter makes a signature "scissors" sound that I didn't find unpleasant at all.

And now, I have a black G2 kit, like I saw in FNAC in Columbo.

Most EXCELLENT! (Bye, M6ttl!)

Only a bit. I found a used (barely) M6TTL for sale at a local store (the salespeople obviously know me FAR too well). I was told of the camera and 35mm Summicron ASPH, and bought it (after mortgaging several pets, extending credit cards, &c.) I liked it, but I've been pining for a G2 since about a month after I got rid of my last one for a Mamiya 7 (TOO CHEAP! Mamiya! Build them BETTER!)

I've been vaguely looking ever since.

Yesterday I asked Igor via e-mail (igorcamera.com, a local friend and participant in the local 3d photography club) if he happened to have one.

He gave me the bad news, which, as everyone already suspects, was that he did indeed.

The M3 is in the shop. I don't need two M's. I DO have some lovely pictures and slides from the Contax, I didn't have such great luck (though all pictures were decent!) with the M6, so...

Call it rationalization, but I got rid of one camera body and lens, and now have three of the latter, one of the former, and options, like the never-ready case (both, one for the 45mm and one for the 90mm- longer snoot) and the hard case for the camera along with a beautiful leather "man-purse" (that's what I think of, George Carlin "It's a little bag!" speech!) that isn't nearly as conspicuous as the big aluminum jobbie that also came with the camera.

Oh, and hoods and caps, did I mention them? And the TLA200 flash?

All in black.

Can't wait to get the M3 back (it's been too long!) and will now have to (sigh!) shoot with the Contax, remembering why I decided to get rid of the last one (I have to figure out how to focus the camera on self-timer!) Torture, I tell you.

:)

Back