Arizona considering move to flagstaff, arizona...

smiling gecko

pure dumb luck, my friend
Local time
10:09 AM
hello all,

i am considering a move to the flagstaff, arizona area....and would like to hear from someone in the area.

done lots and lots and lots of internet research...planning a look-see trip in the fall for a week or so...and would like to hear from someone in the area...or formerly there.

thank you,
kenneth and teresa

I will be interested in any reply commentary, as we'll be in Flagstaff later this spring for a couple of weeks and would like to hear about it. I've not been through town before, though a few years ago we turned right onto I-17 there heading toward Phoenix... at the time I was suffering a bruised rib and recall painful breathing in Flagstaff's high elevation as we passed by.

But I am sure that you'll find it quite different from a small tropical island! :)

I went to Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff from 1974 to 1978. it was a great place at that time: mountains and old volcanoes just outside of town; the Grand Canyon not too far away; Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, and red rock country to the south about 30 miles; Phoenix is a day trip (with a large airport); and with a not too long a drive you can be Standing On a Corner in Winslow, Arizona. There are national monuments with ancient Indian ruins not far away, and large pine forests. It rained on summer afternoons, and got pretty dang cold in the winter with deep snow on many occasions. It sits at 7,000 feet elevation, which will take some adaptation if you are coming from sea level. One problem then was an insufficient water supply for the town.

What it is like to live there today, I do not know. It has been over a decade since I visited.

There are many beautiful photo spots in Arizona. Have you seen "Arizona Highways" magazine?

I can't contribute a whole lot here, other than to say Flagstaff is a nice, slightly sleepy town. It feels more like Colorado than what most people think of when they hear "Arizona." You have immediate access to the beautiful Arizona Trail. There are a ton of great mountain biking and hiking trails in the area. Oh, and I gather that it would be a nice place to raise a family!

thank you; doug, sreed2006 and winzenbourg for your responses.

i think i have read and re-read the internet info to the point of getting cross-eyed.

most info seems to be “sour grapes” or realtor/chamber of commerce “polishing the apple”
variety.

we will fly out in the late fall or winter get a rental car and spend a week or so there.
(so we can experience the transition from near tropical island life to winter)

that will give us the proverbial “boots-on-the-ground perspective.

i have travelled through the area in all four seasons before, but wasn’t thinking of retirement at the time.

soooooo, we will see.

thank you all again,
kenneth

breathe, relax and smile

Retirement? OK, then in that connection I'll guess cost of living in Flagstaff is likely to be modest. I don't hear anything in the news about Flagstaff, and that's good! Calm and friendly is preferable! Another idea: get a subscription to the local paper now, get a feel for local happenings and concerns.

Last time we were in the area we stayed a couple of weeks in Oak Creek near Sedona and explored around. Very pleasant, looking forward to another visit.

I live in Phoenix, and Flagstaff is a great little town to visit, both in the summer (getting out of the heat) as well as in the winter (skiing). It doesn't hurt that it is close to the Grand Canyon and many other awesome places. With the university (NAU) in town, it has a fair amount of events and things to do.

The one consistent negative thing I hear from people about Flagstaff is that the cost of real estate (both renting or owning) is rather high (at least by Arizona standards).

I would definitely visit Flagstaff before finalizing a move there.

Enjoy!
Mike

Good things, others less good no matter where you go.

Living where we do, gotta like four seasons, including winter. However there are quite a few pros here. But everywhere I go I see pros.

My wife and I are going to travel on the other side of the equator. When I was serving in the Navy, met a gent who grew up, home was Fiji. Maybe try that out. About 8 hours flight from LAX.

But we’re going to stay where we are. We like it here. The Dr. I go to is here and Mayo about an hr. drive from Minneapolis to Rochester. Never know when needed.

If you really think Flagstaff is the spot, why not start by renting for a year or so.

Back