Contax Biogon 21mm f4.5 example images

Darinwc

Established
Local time
2:56 PM
Does anyone have images taken with a Contax Biogon in the 21mm focal length which they would like to share?
What do you think about the lens? Is it good by modern standards?

This is a fantastic lens : sharp all over the frame even at f/4.5, with no distorsion and no vignetting, and very resistant to flare. You can use it on either a Contax RF body or a Nikon RF body. Overall its performances are close to what the modern C Biogon 21/4.5 ZM in Leica M mount delivers.

The drawbacks are its ergonomics (setting the aperture requires some special habits) and its weight (it's heavy).

It's generally still quite expensive when you find one in perfect condition.

Santa Maria delle Grazie, Milan, spring of 2015 :

19097355211_ece3c134a1_b.jpg

Nikon S3 - Carl Zeiss Biogon 21/4.5 - Tri-X

Wow that is an excellent image! Thank you for sharing.
Good to know that it works well on a Nikon s mount. I have been hesitant to try any Contax wides on the Nikon. Even though people claim they work ok.
Did you have to make any focus adjustments?

Did you have to make any focus adjustments?
Not at all. The Contax RF Zeiss wides (35 and 21 : they used to make a 28 before the war but it's an f/8 lens and it's not that interesting) work with no problem with the Nikon RF bodies, at all apertures and focusing distances. The same with the Nikon wides (35,28,25,21) on the Contax RF bodies.

There is (on the blueprints) a focusing delta while doing this (front focus in one case, backfocus in the other), but I never could have it show on my photos. The DOF of the wides is enough so that the focusing delta doesn't show. I also made some close focus tests with the W-Nikkor 35/2.5 on the Contax IIa and the Zeiss Opton Biogon 35/2.8 on the Nikon S2, no problems whatsoever.

Even the 50 isn't a problem with my own gear (with the 50 I may benefit from built tolerances which cancel the focusing delta at some distances and apertures, as a kind of reciprocity law).

To enjoy the wonderful Contax RF Zeiss lenses with a very reliable camera, a Nikon RF body is - for me - a way better solution than the expensive and somehow tricky Amedeo adapter and Leica M body route.

I couldn't find a thread for posting photos shot using the Zeiss Biogon 21mm f4.5 Contax RF lens, but this seemed like the most appropriate thread to post some. I bought this lens last year from a member and have been shooting it with joy. I first was shooting it on my Nikon S2, which is fine, but I recently acquired a nice Contax IIa, so now I am shooting the Biogon on the camera it was designed for. A couple recent shots:

52339228607_8e8db39563_o.jpg
e-9324

52340187776_e2435afa9b_o.jpg
e-9320

52340488609_4d87523840_o.jpg
e-9315

The DOF of the wides is enough so that the focusing delta doesn't show. I also made some close focus tests with the W-Nikkor 35/2.5 on the Contax IIa and the Zeiss Opton Biogon 35/2.8 on the Nikon S2, no problems whatsoever.

Hi,

This is great info for me. I have a 35/2.5 on my way and i'm going to use it on contaxes. I assume the tests were wide open, right?

Even the 50 isn't a problem with my own gear (with the 50 I may benefit from built tolerances which cancel the focusing delta at some distances and apertures, as a kind of reciprocity law).

This is very interesting. Was this a Zeiss 50 on a Nikon body, or the other way around? Which lens?

To enjoy the wonderful Contax RF Zeiss lenses with a very reliable camera, a Nikon RF body is - for me - a way better solution than the expensive and somehow tricky Amedeo adapter and Leica M body route.

I take a bit of issue with this statement. The Contax RFs are very reliable cameras, both the pre-war and the post-war cameras. And I want to thank you for some informative posts on the IIa/IIIa you have contributed here in the past.

If I had a Nikon RF body i'd be a bit worried about the curtain getting pinholes, unless of course I get one with titanium curtains. Also, the service of most Nikon RFs (S2, S3, SP) is much more involved than the servicing of the Contax pre-war or post-war bodies (particularly the post-war bodies!). I say this based on my own experience servicing the Contax versus the well-thought out tutorials on Nikons by Richard Haw: the Nikons are much more complex to disassemble! The Contaxes -all of them- can almost be considered modular!

The 21mm 4.5 Biogon is one of my favourite lenses, so sharp. The only issue I have with it is remembering to line up all the red dots, and set the Contax to infinity, before mounting. Otherwise the rangefinder won't couple. And remembering to keep my fingers out of the field of view...

Contax IIa, Biogon 21mm / 4.5, Ilford FP4 125

Inside Fidel's Cafe by Hugh B, on Flickr

It's a good and interesting shot. As far as fingers and thumbs go, we used to hold the camera quite differently. Back in the 60's it was not uncommon to hold the camera with the thumbs underneath he body supporting it and the index and middle fingers on top of the camera. The palms between the thumb and index finger would touch the outer edges of the back. The shutter is fired by a gentle pinch and everything is out of the way of range/view finders and lenses. Not the fastest way to work, but Contaxes were never made to be fast.

Bill

It's a good and interesting shot. As far as fingers and thumbs go, we used to hold the camera quite differently. Back in the 60's it was not uncommon to hold the camera with the thumbs underneath he body supporting it and the index and middle fingers on top of the camera. The palms between the thumb and index finger would touch the outer edges of the back. The shutter is fired by a gentle pinch and everything is out of the way of range/view finders and lenses. Not the fastest way to work, but Contaxes were never made to be fast.

Bill

Hi Bill, that's interesting! I'll try it out, I still have some film in my IIa. And thanks for your comment about the photo.

Here's another shot with the 21mm Biogon, just a few frames after the one I posted above. It's a really enjoyable lens to use.

Contax IIa, Carl Zeiss Biogon 21mm 4.5, Ilford FP4 125

Jogger by Hugh B, on Flickr

SDIM1033.png Here is one from the Biogon 21mm. The Eddy County Court House. This is where justice is served like like the fried eggs at Denny's. Nikon s2, GP3 film developed in D-23 1:1.

I have found this lens to be a great performer with color or black and white. It is just kind of clunky to use. The build quality is absolutely first class. I have used this with Kiev's, contax IIa's and Nikon RF's. Nikon s2, GP3 film developed in D-23 1:1. SDIM1048.png

Back