Contax data back - ends in 2019???

A year range from 1987 to 2019 means they just used a 5-bit counter for the year in the date accumulator. 32 years would certainly be seen as 'more than enough' time for any point and shoot camera's life span.

Makes perfect sense, thanks Godfrey. :)

I'm going to have to check my Fuji Natura Black. I hope the date back lasts past 2030 at least.

Who knew Contax SLRs were programmed to expire in 2019?!

Who knew Contax SLRs were programmed to expire in 2019?!

Recent threads on Contax SLRs on RFF inspired me to look at Contax Zeiss lenses available through Australian classifieds and, what do you know, I managed to score a mint Zeiss C/Y 50mm 1.4 Planar at a fire sale price. Owning the C Sonnar for my M, I just love Zeiss glass but was keen on a backup SLR for automation and close focusing. So with lens in hand I followed up by purchasing a Contax ST at a very, very reasonable price which arrived today from Japan.

After sliding in a small lithium battery for the built-in data back I am surprised to discover that the year range settings (whether in day/month/year format or other variations) only goes from 87 to 19! When it clicks over from 19 the cycle begins again at 87. Perhaps Contax thought its 1992 beauty could only live to the age of 27 (like Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin, Cobain)? Is this normal, or just a bug in my data back? How about the RX or RTS III for any owners out there that may be able to shed some light?

Anyway, for now and into the future it will always be 2019, year of the dreaded COVID.

ac00300ccc21a4689720ec6b3ae32d73.jpg

I don't remember any more but I have seen comments in the distant past about different camera backs not lasting until half way until forever. So it isn't as if none ever have. Sorry I can't remember better about which models and brands. I just remember some were expensive and some were point and shoots.

Back