Contax G - Too Modern?

I usually don't do this but I found Bellamy's communication lacking when I dealt with him on two occasions. I won't deal with him anymore. I did send in a non working Nikon 35Ti to have the lens converted to Leica M. The work was done and the lens eventually arrived back to me but the conversion wasn't the usual MS Optical quality I'd seen before. There were scratches and other flaws in the lens body.

FWIW, I had a MS Optical converted Contax G 28mm lens. Purchased it through Japan Exposures who used to sell converted lenses. Japan Exposure used to arrange the conversion for owners but they don't do it anymore. I know one other person who is in Japan who might be able to arrange the conversions. I'll contact them and see what they say.

In the USA: DAG did the conversion for my 16mm/8 Hologon to M mount.

I recently bought an Contax g1 with a biogon 28mm and planar 35mm. It's the first serious camera i have bought and the lenses are obviously sharp and impressive, but i'm wondering whether my images lack a little bit of character that some older lenses might bring to the table. It's obviously a personal preference but I almost feel like the images it creates almost look a little digital. It also doesn't seem to produce the best results at infinity. Does anyone else agree? And if so, what lenses/setup would anyone recommend for a slightly more vintage look?

Thanks

Congrats on your camera, it's reputation is well deserved. Of the two lenses you own the 28mm is the "better" lens if you look at MTF charts, sharpness across the image, etc, but they're both excellent quality. The 45mm lenses are now inexpensive enough that you should probably try one if it won't break the bank. One of the finest normal focal length lenses ever made during the film era.

I would suggest working more with the Contax while you define what you mean by "character" in your imagery. Try a roll of Kodak P3200 and see if you like the look compared to Ektar, for instance. Character can come from your camera, the film, the processing, the post processing, the printing, and most importantly you.

Fracture lines in old extruded basalt, Central Washington

U77I1135153705.SEQ.0.jpg

Contax G2, 2.0/35mm Planar, Fuji 160S @100

Old motel owned by Sheriff's Dept awaiting demolition; door probably forced by asbestos removal team... Although this might have been the unit where some idiots were sniffed-out packaging drugs on the day 115 state-wide canine units were using the building next door for practice raids. :eek: :eek:

U77I1134114504.SEQ.0.jpg

Contax G2, 2.0/35mm Planar, Fuji Neopan CN @250

Back