Contax I: How valuable?

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
10:30 AM
Does anyone here own a Contax I? If its shutter curtain fails, can it be repaired? How much is it worth?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Raid

According to Mr Gandy, there are at least 6 versions

Contax I (a) most have "pimple" in front of focusing wheel, no slow speeds below 1/25th, has U or V in serial number.
Contax I (b) no "pimple," front plate extends from focusing wheel to VF window in one piece, no slow speeds
Contax I (c) slow speeds added, tripod mount support added
Contax I (d) button to unlock infinity lock added,
Contax I (e) viewfinder moved to OUTSIDE of RF window
Contax I (f) four screws in accessory shoe

Which do you have?

Dan

Raid, the shutter probably has the same problem as most inoperable Contax 1 and 2 models- broken silk shutter tapes. Fixable, but not very many folks willing to take on the work. I have had a couple repaired by Henry Scherer, but as you know his waiting list is very long. If you have a pic of the camera, I would happy to ID it for you using Kuc's Contax book

Nearly all Contax I cameras have a significant value, mostly as collector items and less as users.

I have a very early Contax I, and getting it into workable condition took some time, although it wasn't as difficult as I expected.

As I recall, much of the time was spent on disassembly, while the actual work wasn't any more complicated than a Contax II.

I now have a later Contax I, which needs the same amount of work. It's a better camera than the early Contax I. By that, I mean the construction is better, and the camera is easier to focus with less wobble in the secondary image.

As always, Zeiss Ikon camera designer Hubert Nerwin brought useful changes to the design.

Is the 5cm 2 Sonnar of higher value than the 5cm 2.8 or 3.5 Tessar for the Contax I?

Raid, the shutter probably has the same problem as most inoperable Contax 1 and 2 models- broken silk shutter tapes. Fixable, but not very many folks willing to take on the work. I have had a couple repaired by Henry Scherer, but as you know his waiting list is very long. If you have a pic of the camera, I would happy to ID it for you using Kuc's Contax book

Mark,

If it can be done, Eddy would do the work for me. How do you like the Contax I?

I have an earlyish Contax I, 'c' I think which recently died. I assumed shutter tapes were the culprit but it turned out that some gear teeth were stripped.

It has been repaired at some cost, particularly to the repairer!

The issues seem to be that there are fewer and fewer cameras around to use for parts and that dismantling can be time consuming. One should also appreciate that there is lttle enthusiasm for guaranteeing a repair.

Having said all that it is a fascinating and interesting camera that produces excellent results (Tessar).

They do seem to fetch rather high prices when compared with contemporary Leicas. As a regular 'user' they may not justfy these prices but I do accept that they may be a particularly interesting focus for collectors.

Michael

A 'working' Contax I (last version, four screws in accessory shoe) sold for just over GBP380.00 on UK Ebay including f2 Sonnar.

Didn't look that great in the photos but may be better in real life. Don't know about you guys but this looks a bit steep to me. Opinions?

Apart from the obvious sellers in Netherlands and Germany there is little else out there.

Michael

From what I have read the Contax I design itself is quite buggy and the shutter will never be fully reliable. So, it may end up being a money pit. The Contax II was a major redesign and much better. The IIa is an improvement on both.

If you really want a Contax, I would suggest obtaining a postwar IIa black or color dial. The black dial has limited flash support, but the internal construction is simpler and therefore more reliable. Henry Scherer is probably the only person out there whom I would trust to service any Contax and lens.

This is a version 7 which is an everyday user -- I'm heading out with it and a IIa now. Although it was working when I bought it I sent it to Henry Scherer anyway. I've grown fond of the quirks (winding knob, setting shutter speed), it has become my favorite carry camera.

U634I1247250832.SEQ.0.jpg

Sorry I have no idea of the value... it has been many years since I bought this.

Last edited:
From what I have read the Contax I design itself is quite buggy and the shutter will never be fully reliable. So, it may end up being a money pit. The Contax II was a major redesign and much better. The IIa is an improvement on both.

If you really want a Contax, I would suggest obtaining a postwar IIa black or color dial. The black dial has limited flash support, but the internal construction is simpler and therefore more reliable. Henry Scherer is probably the only person out there whom I would trust to service any Contax and lens.

Harry,
I have a Contax IIa and a IIIa, so I am happy already with what I have here, but I was curious what the older Contax I was worth if I wanted to get such a camera simply for its historic role in camera design for Zeiss.

Last edited:
Raid,
Cameras X-31.001 on, Y, Z, and A will have rotating prism rangefinders. I think this is worthwhile as opposed to the earlier cameras with the mirror system. Otherwise you seem to know what you're in for... these cameras are not perfect but well constructed in their own way. A good technician can make them quite reliable. Good luck if you decide to pursue one...

Frank Marshman / Camera Wiz in Harrisonburg, VA fixed my Contax I (a) and it works very smoothly. Took a couple of months to get it back, but he's been operating as a one-man band recently, so it's to be expected. He's also repaired my Contax II and Contaflex TLR, so he's definitely recommended.

This is all very useful information for anyone thinking of taking the plunge into the darkness of Contax I world.

After repair earlier this summer my Contax I (c) is now performing reliably and predicatbly. Rangefinder is excellent and precise. Despite it's tatty exterior it is a fascinating camera and enjoyable to use with either 3.5 Tessar or 85mm Russian lens. I know the design lacks the glorious simplicity and reliability of a contemporary Leica but the device is simply fun and makes a change from a Wetzlar product.

I have now identified my next 'project' camera...ie something to bring back from the dead and put to use...it's the Super Nettel.

Michael

The Super Nettel uses a Contax-type shutter (with silk shutter straps), although I don't know if the shutter is from the Contax I or II.

What's nice about the Super Nettel is that it's a folding Contax. There were two lenses: Triotar and Tessar, with the Tessar being the premium lens. The Triotar is a well designed triplet.

The Contax I is a complex camera, but so is the Contax II. Like other things in today's world, the ability to repair things ourselves is slowly diminishing.

My father was a machinist, and my brothers and I were always involved in the various projects around the home. We also took electrical shop in school, so by the time that we had left the house, those skills were quite good.

However, I know that's not everyone's thing, and so it makes more sense to have someone else handle the work than to try to learn the hard way.

But there's no magic in camera repair. You just have to have some basic skills and not be afraid to tackle the job at hand.

ZeissFan,

The Super Nettel that I have in captivity has a Tessar. The shutter works on all speeds but the lens needs cleaning and the rangefinder second image is very feint. Did you take any pix when dsimantling the one in your collection? I'd like to give it a light CLA and am interested as to what route you took. Also I think I will have to have a go at the lens. Doubt there is much I can do about the rangefinder. Like you, we are a family with a 'mechanical' tradition. Apart from working on cameras I still enjoy the challenge of a complex hydaulic Citroen and we appear to have bred a son who can switch his attention from a software glitch to endfloat on a differential pinion with little more than a blink of the eye...

Michael

Back