Contax I with history!

Thanks all! Finally, here are some pics...

I'm really loving the lens - especially wide open...

608-001 FINAL by David Helmore, on Flickr

I found the camera quite slow to use - the wind on was a pain, although the focus was quick..with the separate viewfinder I was quite happy with some of the candid shots..

608-017 FINAL by David Helmore, on Flickr

And stopped down the Sonnar was so sharp...

Tractor Yard by David Helmore, on Flickr

There is no doubt the Contax I is a great camera, but I guess I'm too used to my Leica to say that I prefer it! It obviously has a few issues.. Funds permitting I would like to get it serviced (although it will have to wait a few months!!..) I love the lens - I did minimal work on these images and the contrast was amazing! In the short term I will use my adapter and pop the lens on my Leica!

Wow, nice pictures for such an old camera.

I like the second one, it look like a very old picture until you realized that they are looking at the screen of a dslr.

The rally pictures are amazing. Youre lucky to have a camera with an history like that and know about it. Never sell that camera!

I apologise for hijacking the thread but I have purchased a Contax Ie with 5cm 2.8 Tessar, which (accoriding to the felt markings inside the ERC) belonged to a "Surgeon Lieutenant W.Edgar" residing in Edinburgh.

8430113767_ecc7c0e4fa_c.jpg

I'm very glad that it works (after taking in what that single winding knob has to do, and to think it was made in the 1930's!) but it keeps tearing up my film. Any hints on getting a clear roll through it?

Also i've learnt that I need to set the speed first before advancing the frame. Settings speeds with the shutter ready causes the shutter blinds to slowly open up thus exposing the film before the shutter is released.

If it is tearing film towards the end of the roll it means the wind on tension is so high you can't 'feel' the end of the film so in future stop a frame or two short using the counter.

Your second point suggests all is not well. Remember only to wind the the shutter dial one way (can't remember which but the arrows are obvious)...never go the other way.

all points towards attention being required.

The film is tearing after just three shots. I think the rollers on the back plate and film body are causing extra resistance.

I'm aware that the film advance is clockwise and shutter selection is anti-clockwise. Film advance is much more difficult when film is loaded in my Contax I.

Oh well, email sent to Henry! Now to play the waiting game...

And i've now learnt that if you load it incorrectly - it will always tear the film.
:bang:

After correct loading its working nominally with zero issues now. :)

What is even more amazing is the archive of photos he left - his original albums have been scanned in and uploaded by his family and can be viewed on this link!

Good of you to share these, a really fascinating link.
I love old photographs and the stories that go with them. I hope someone does this with some of my pictures in centuries to come

You need to replace that godawful viewfinder on top with a proper black Zeiss Ikon finder. Otherwise, good find and good shots.

Back