Contax T light leak

Peter_S

Peter_S
Local time
11:21 AM
I recently purchased a "mint" Contax T on Ebay Japan, expecting it to work as well as the beaten-up one I have used the last 10 years or so. Not so much. The images show what appears to be a light leak. Its not always there, but often enough to be an issue.

Questions:
a) where is likely coming from and can I use tape to temporarily fix the problem?
b) is it easy to fix yourself when one gets new light seals (I doubt I could recycle the ones from my old one)?

Any hints are welcome!
Peter
000006080006.jpg

000006080012.jpg

It does not look like the typical "strip" of light from a light leak along the camera back.

Is the lens clean and free of haze? It it coming in through the collapsible lens mechanism? It is an arch.

I sold my Contax T a long time ago- was a real "beater" picked up for $85. BUT- nothing like this ever happened with it.

Is this on the entire roll?

There is a foam light seal in the T, it's quite minimal but it *is* there, and they eventually disintegrate into a gooey mess. The body is not too difficult to take apart if you're handy.

Posting in another light-leak related thread made me think of this. The reddish color leads me to believe it's coming from the back of the camera (traveling through the negative film base which is orange). The shape and position of the leak are indeed odd.

Thanks for the replies! I will order some new light seals and hope they fix the issue. Gorilla tape did not help...

Is this on the entire roll?

There is a foam light seal in the T, it's quite minimal but it *is* there, and they eventually disintegrate into a gooey mess. The body is not too difficult to take apart if you're handy.
I met the same problem and I'm crazy for it. Could you tell me the detail position of the lightseal? very very thanksIMG_5159.jpeg

Back