Contina II (524/24)

lightshot

Established
Local time
11:03 PM
Hi all,

I tried to search for some info on this camera but had no luck. Can anyone tell me a little bit about this camera?

I kind of lost my mind tonight and picked it up on "evil--bay" for $18.00, but don't know a thing about it other than it has an uncoupled rangefinder. I did a few Google searches, but I keep coming up with later versions that didn't have the "door" for the lens on the front.

Any help or tips (besides a good CLA) if the darn thing works?

Thanks!

Hi all,

I tried to search for some info on this camera but had no luck. Can anyone tell me a little bit about this camera?

I kind of lost my mind tonight and picked it up on "evil--bay" for $18.00, but don't know a thing about it other than it has an uncoupled rangefinder. I did a few Google searches, but I keep coming up with later versions that didn't have the "door" for the lens on the front.

Any help or tips (besides a good CLA) if the darn thing works?

Thanks!

It sounds as if you have the folding version of the Contina II which folds up. Congratulations! I have a few Continas, and I like them very much, but they are not the folding variety.

They share the same lens in some examples - a very nice Novar Anastigmat, which is a four-element Tessar design, capable of good sharpness.

You may have found this website already. If not, you might find this one helpful:

http://www.retrography.com/continafold.htm

The only tip I can offer you is if the thing works, it will take good photos. I really like my (later model) Contina cameras, they have a quality of workmanship that I truly believe exceeds that of Leica. They're simply excellent little jewels when held in the hand.

Bill, the Novar is a triplet. The Novar was the budget lens, while the Tessar was the premium optic.

Briefly, the Contina II (although just marked Contina) is the middle of three folding 35mm cameras created by Zeiss Ikon designer Hubert Nerwin.

It's a nice little camera that solidly reflects Nerwin's design philosophy that simpler is better, and smaller is OK, too.

The film advance and rewind knobs, as well as the frame counter, is on the bottom. Take care with that front-mounted shutter release.

Like nearly all Zeiss Ikon cameras, the choice of materials and workmanship is first rate.

Its uncoupled rangefinder is simple to service -- watch that gilded mirror, and it makes for a very compact, high-quality camera.

I stand corrected, ZF. Thanks for that info. In any case, I think you'll agree that it's a splendid lens just the same.

Thank you - and thanks for the website reference too! That site really helps me out a lot as far as the history and specifics of my new "toy."

I can hardly wait for it to arrive so I can load it up and see if it works!

I stand corrected, ZF. Thanks for that info. In any case, I think you'll agree that it's a splendid lens just the same.

Bill, I definitely agree that the Novar is a fine lens. This is the camera that took me down the Zeiss Ikon path.

I had been buying some Kodak Retinas, as well as an Agfa Isolette III, a Voigtlander Vito B and a couple of others.

The Contina II with the Novar was my first Zeiss Ikon.

I took this photo with it ...

Stanley-Bay.jpg

... and loved the tones so much that it got me interested in Zeiss Ikon cameras. That led me to purchase Ivor Mantanle's book, "Collecting and Using Classic Cameras," which was my buying guide for a while.

It's ironic that the Novar (not a true Carl Zeiss lens) made me fall in love with the Zeiss Ikon cameras. In the original scan, the corners are somewhat soft -- a Novar trademark.

As I recall, I shot this at f/4.0 at 1/50. Can't recall the film. Probably TMax 100, as I was spooling it from bulk rolls at the time.

Very cool, nice photo! I have to admit that although normally for me the image is the thing, the quality of the Zeiss Ikon Contina is such that one simply wants to hold it and feel the quality of manufacture that went into it. Ach, well I guess it makes me a fondler of some minor sort. But never mind, I still just really like that camera.

You should have the camera by now, lightshot. How has it been working out for you?

The shutter on my own example has been stuck ever since I picked it up for $8 at a yard sale. (Yes, I know it needs film to work the shutter, that ain't it.) Wondering if I should delve into that at all, given that I have some perfectly fine coupled RFs to choose from, and a Vito II for when I want to keep it compact.

One tip, the lens coating on mine is pretty soft. I was careful with fluid and fresh tissue and still left a mark.

I'll second all the good things that have been said about the Contina II. Mine was the first camera I dismantled (the usual oily blades of old cameras) that both survived the process and was improved by it. So a CLA is not an especially awkward job if you have a lens spanner, or something that will do the same job. If you've got instructions - see the web - for dismantling a Prontor, it's fairly intuitive.

The rangefinder is a piece of cake to adjust - there's just a snail under the top cover, and it's a case of engaging the pin in the right place IIRC

So... How have you got on?

Adrian

PS No-one has mentioned that it will make a cracking doorstop if it doesn't work - there's a lot of metal in there!

Hello everyone, does some know how to dissemble the bottom plate of a similar model contina III? I manage to remove the top plate the main spring was broke and the lubricant was dry.

Contina II is the one that was missing in my Zeiss forlder collection.
I have the Contessa 35 (and most of the rigid body) and the Ikonta 35 (Contina)
Now I have one and I'm waiting to have some time to get that shutter cleaned,

FWIW The service manual can be downloaded from LCR for a $1 donation

I got one and have put a roll through it. The novar gets sharp pictures and the lens snaps out very easily. The rangefinder on mine is out so sending off the Ed Trodzka next month. It's a lovely well made pocketable camera.

Those Prontor shutters are so easy to maintain, I was able to do it in a few hours last night and it is working now.
I'll put a roll on it and test it over the weekend.
I tried a Tessar from a contessa LKE to check whether it fits, so my next project it a Franken-Contina with a coated Tessar (50/2.8)

Back