Costco to quit C41

Glad to see Walgreens popping up in my area anywhere there's a CVS. One of the newest ones is around a year and a half old and the site states they do process film, looks like I can hold off with sorting out space for a darkroom for now.

Glad to see Walgreens popping up in my area anywhere there's a CVS. One of the newest ones is around a year and a half old and the site states they do process film, looks like I can hold off with sorting out space for a darkroom for now.

It's the right time to begin to collect all the equipment though. ;-)

Local costco just quit C41 on march 1. Damn, and I have a nice roll of Portra VC with some nice moon shots from last night.

There are a half dozen or dozen places around that still do film here, but only the Costco gave medium sized scans, the other places are quite hit and miss.

Costco sucks at everything except the dollar hot dogs. I take C41 to Walgreens, and they say they have no intention to discontinue film processing. According to the techs at the store near me, film is a significant part of their photo business.

That probably varies a bit from Costco to Costco.

My local Costco does a great job for the low prices they charge.

Stephen

Local costco just quit C41 on march 1. Damn, and I have a nice roll of Portra VC with some nice moon shots from last night.

There are a half dozen or dozen places around that still do film here, but only the Costco gave medium sized scans, the other places are quite hit and miss.

Have you tried Foster City? I think they're still doing it.

Yes, thanks for the clarification Stephen

Yes, thanks for the clarification Stephen

It definitely is (or was) a store by store decision. When the posting here about one that stopped, and then some others a couple/few years ago, I specifically asked the local manager about it, and the last time we chatted, ~ 6 months ago, film was still booming, and the manager thought that it would keep going while profitable. I kind of wish I supported them more now. I was able to get C41 developing (24 or 36, or 72+), an index preview card, and a CD with medium res scans (~1-1.5MB per JPG) for $5.

Now it's ~$13-17i sh at the remaining places for 36 exp., with scans, but I think that comes with a set of 4x6's, and the scans are often small, ~300-600Kb.

Weird timing, I just read yesterday that Ilford and film are doing well since Harman acquired them.

That probably varies a bit from Costco to Costco.

My local Costco does a great job for the low prices they charge.

Stephen

Thanks Kevin

Thanks Kevin

I'll check with them and stock up when down there. I think one or both of the SSF ones still do film as well, and they also don't care about 24, 36, or 72 (and can cut/size for the half-frame). Also, free index cards, and dev/cd only are $5. Gotta support these remaining stores. I've always had great service from them, but others have mentioned streaks or scratches, I think only one or two of my rolls had scratches, and that is out of thousands through costco.

Have you tried Foster City? I think they're still doing it.

I'll check with them and stock up when down there. I think one or both of the SSF ones still do film as well, and they also don't care about 24, 36, or 72 (and can cut/size for the half-frame). Also, free index cards, and dev/cd only are $5. Gotta support these remaining stores. I've always had great service from them, but others have mentioned streaks or scratches, I think only one or two of my rolls had scratches, and that is out of thousands through costco.

The one at Airport Blvd in SSF stopped film development a couple years ago.

The Costco just off Hwy. 580 in Richmond used to do a really good job processing and scanning my color neg film. Its been about 3 years since I've been there, but at the time their film processing staff was very knowledgeable about processing and printing. I rarely had a slip-up there.

Back