Coupled Rangefinder 35s and their Discontents: How to get the most out of these vintage classics.

On the subject of loading, feel free to share this with the uninitiated:

Back in the day I used to be able to do this with one hand. Barnackles need not apply…

With my LX I can easily do it, even with MY fumble fingers. Slide the film tongue into the "magic fingers", pull the cassette across the film gate, insert the cassette into the film chamber, then slide the rewind knob into the top of the cassette locking it in place. Close the back and advance the film. All done! But it does take two hands, one to hold the camera the other to handle the film. I can do it with other cameras as well but the LX is certainly one of the easiest. Barnacks really aren't that tough to do either, they are just done a little differently and need a longer film tongue to start with.

My Minolta Hi-Matic 9 has a mechanism that "wiggles" as film is actually advanced. If the film is misloaded, and not going to the tape-up spool, instant notification. Which is how I learned to load it in the 1960s.

If you’re going to talk about ease of film loading, or film handling in general, though, it’s awfully hard to go past the Konica Hexar RF (briefly mentioned in the original post, and a real favourite of mine).

…Mike
No thanks, I'd rather have a Leica IIIf, a Canon from IVSB2 onward (but I love V, and VI best). I also love Nicca a lot. And love LTM lenses from camera makers who's cameras are less than reliable (Minolta 35 II a key offender). I'd rather own the Leica M2 than your Hexar, and I like Konicas.

My Minolta Hi-Matic 9 has a mechanism that "wiggles" as film is actually advanced. If the film is misloaded, and not going to the tape-up spool, instant notification. Which is how I learned to load it in the 1960s.

Sounds like it does the same thing as the little red "film-movement indicator" on the back of Kodak Ektras.

IMG_9500.jpg

No thanks, I'd rather have a Leica IIIf, a Canon from IVSB2 onward (but I love V, and VI best). I also love Nicca a lot. And love LTM lenses from camera makers who's cameras are less than reliable (Minolta 35 II a key offender). I'd rather own the Leica M2 than your Hexar, and I like Konicas.
My comment was about film handling specifically, not about "which camera I like best". Yes, I did mention that I like my Hexar RF. As it happens, I like my DS M3 better than my Hexar RF - but not because of its film handling. (For the record: I have no problem with my M3, but the Hexar RF has objectively easier and quicker film handling.) I just felt no need to say "I like my M3" in that specific context.

But sure, if you don' like the Hexar RF, that's fine. I do. So what?

...Mike

My comment was about film handling specifically, not about "which camera I like best". Yes, I did mention that I like my Hexar RF. As it happens, I like my DS M3 better than my Hexar RF - but not because of its film handling. (For the record: I have no problem with my M3, but the Hexar RF has objectively easier and quicker film handling.) I just felt no need to say "I like my M3" in that specific context.

But sure, if you don' like the Hexar RF, that's fine. I do. So what?

...Mike
I admire the Hexar AF! How about that. I prefer not having AF or AE! I love one battery (for my light meter).

I thought i'd weigh in, relative to the title, and say I've had no "discontents" with Leicas in many decades of using M film cameras.

There's one oddball coupled rangefinder camera not mentioned, and that's the viewfinderless Bessa-T. It straddles the fence between being a Bessa-L with rangefinder and a Leica III without viewfinder. The considerable parallax between the RF and a clip-on viewfinder means it's not really suited for shooting longer lenses wide open; separate focus & compose is a bit of a challenge there keeping things sharp.

Yep. All of those cameras are mostly collectors, past talks.

I was watching two YT videos from NYC based street vloger where he interviewed street photogs specifically about gear they use. Plenty still with film, most with Ms. But struggle with film cost is real. So, some already switched to XPro, which I think has digital RF option. And plenty with digital M. And they are young people. One business semi retired lady was with top of the line Sony. No Pixee spotted. Doesn't look like it is on demand for American streets. It was no Canon and else RF vintage, at least one from Bessa R in these two videos.

Back