coverage of the Yashica 35 GTN meter

Playing around with my GT, it seems to vary depending on the ASA setting (watch the blinds over the meter change with the ASA setting). I don't think the Electro's were designed for manual spot metering tasks. So far, my metering seems to get it 'right' most of the time, with ASA's around 100. Not much you can do if you don't think the meter is correct, is there? :)

I would assume it should be matched to meter roughly the same degree of view as the lens. The meters are very accurate too.

Hi Rob,

With a point source light you can watch the over/under lights go on/off as the light is moved around the viewfinder area. There is a defined area that is smaller than the entire viewfinder area and I believe it changes with the ASA setting due to the ASA blind geometry, but who cares? :) Complex lighting situations require a handheld/match needle/AE meter which rules out the Electro IMHO.

Regards

The Electro 35 series do not have any lens in front of the CdS cell, so real coverage of the meter is somehow dependent on ASA settings. They were designed as average meters (in fact they are), but I´ve noticed some change for different settings. As long as there is not a simple way to check for the camera´s selected speed for a certain condition (unless measuring current in the meter printed board), there is almost no way to confirm the point. As far as I have measured, it changes from average to something like a center weighted meter. I´ve been thinking for some time to make some experiments with a cell and a diaphragm and same cell plus lens and diaphragm just for the sake of knowledge. The Yashica MG1 shares the same concept in electronic design as the Electro 35, however the CdS cell is located in front of the lens barrel and has a little lens in front of it. Behavior of the meter is different.

Back