crazy man!

Sorry if my post came across as a slam - certainly not intended as such!

I suppose i was looking at it from my perspective. "Laid off" and $2800 camera created a cognitive dissonance. If you can afford it, why not? Life's too short as it is. My apologies.

Been in the rolls of the unemployed since mid Dec.

I decided that I would relax a little before figuring out what to do next.

Next week I am going to searching for a new job.

Godfrey is right, if u got the budget who cares about what else u have, it what u want. Life us short, enjoy yourself while u can.

Gary

sorry to hear gary...

Sorry if my post came across as a slam - certainly not intended as such!

I suppose i was looking at it from my perspective. "Laid off" and $2800 camera created a cognitive dissonance. If you can afford it, why not? Life's too short as it is. My apologies.

it was not you...sorry if it looked that way...there are some here who would rather put me on a couch!

Joe -- nobody ever said on his death bed, gee, I'm most pleased at how frugal I was. One might say, I gave up on worldly goods and found spiritual fulfillment but that's different. People moralize about money OMG -- there is nothing moral about it, about handling it or saving it or spending it that has moral meaning; and particularly we know there is nothing -- not a shred -- that's moral about the savage corporate Darwinism that dominates our national economy.

In other words here as elsewhere in your life, do as you want, and make life a training ground for wanting the right things.

Or, in other, OTHER words: f**k 'em if they can't take a joke.

With all due respect Joe, if you know from past experience what this type of post inevitably leads to, why even post it? Only you know your personal situation and finances. If you have rationally thought about it, considered the differences between needs and wants, and it makes sense to you then do it. IMHO, whether or not you have a gift card to apply towards the purchase is not really the issue. On the other hand, I liked your RD-1 photos so what do I know :)

Joe, if you run into trouble in the future, how much time would cost of the camera save you?

Plus, you can sell it if need arises.

Not talking you into something you should not do, but it is amazing how people obsess over the money they spend on things they love - like they feel underneath they do not deserve to be happy.

Randy

X100S has two viewfinders for less than half the cost; RX1 has none. You'll be hard pressed to tell the difference with full frame unless you print murals.

pismo -- you know you should have taken that left toin at Albuquerque.* And sometimes you just want to throw an idea up in the air and watch people shoot at it. If it comes back down intact you feel better about it.

*Bugs Bunny / Pismo Beach reference.

pismo -- you know you should have taken that left toin at Albuquerque.* And sometimes you just want to throw an idea up in the air and watch people shoot at it. If it comes back down intact you feel better about it.

*Bugs Bunny / Pismo Beach reference.

exactly...plus i like the discussion for the most part...it the moralizing that kills me.

this decision and in all the decisions that i make will ultimately come from me.
i find little harm in asking though.

Joe, if you run into trouble in the future, how much time would cost of the camera save you?

Plus, you can sell it if need arises.

Not talking you into something you should not do, but it is amazing how people obsess over the money they spend on things they love - like they feel underneath they do not deserve to be happy.

Randy

I agree, however I just don't believe that buying electronics can make you happy. Certainly, spending money on our hobbies can allow us to enjoy those hobbies, but generally most of us have all the gear we need for that.

I agree with a lot of sentiment here, that one should just get something if it makes us happy. Or maybe just not think about money too much, I agree with all that stuff. What I disagree with is that people even *want* that stuff. Does another box filled with cables we'll never use, manuals we won't read, USB this, SD card that, yet more chargers and power leads make us any happier than we were before?

by way of an update...i just finished watching a couple flickr slideshows of pics from the rx1...i was dismayed...there was little spark, pop or sizzle...could be all the shooters or maybe the camera...

I agree, however I just don't believe that buying electronics can make you happy. Certainly, spending money on our hobbies can allow us to enjoy those hobbies, but generally most of us have all the gear we need for that.

I agree with a lot of sentiment here, that one should just get something if it makes us happy. Or maybe just not think about money too much, I agree with all that stuff. What I disagree with is that people even *want* that stuff. Does another box filled with cables we'll never use, manuals we won't read, USB this, SD card that, yet more chargers and power leads make us any happier than we were before?

Yes, you make good points. But as I have stated elsewhere, I think people come in two distinct varieties: those that need to bond with a particular tool and stay with it, and those that need novelty to keep them motivated and engaged. I suspect that Joe may be in the latter set.

Randy

i don't understand what happiness has to do with it in the first place...really.
because some folks think i need my head examined or that i'm depressed it ties in to happiness?

let me say this...i don't believe in happy...other than a few microbursts of it during my life i have experienced the world from a calm and steady place. i don't think in terms of happy or sad...tho if i did i would vote for sad as the more common emotion!
i like toys...no surprise in that! eh?
i think i deserve to play with as many of them, before i die, as i can.
my only dependent is my dog...who eats regularly (venison btw) gets groomed regularly, gets to poop and play as much as he likes and he has never been scolded or hit or made to feel lees about himself...i offer him a charmed life and he rewards me with unconditional love and makes me laugh every day! my point is neither he nor i am suffering.
i lost my job...i hated that place and didn't leave because i just never got off my ass to do something about it...they pushed me into my own future and i have this very large smile on my face! i feel healthier by the minute...
life is good and a little fear is fine too!

Back