Cross process question

Avotius

Some guy
Local time
5:00 PM
I know people shoot slide film then develop it c41. I have never tried this, when I go back to china I will try it since it so much cheaper for me to get film and do it up there. Has anyone ever tried shooting color negative and developing it e6 slide? Or maybe even bw and developing it e6? You know...the other way around right?

Lucky bw film in china has a little thing in the inside of the box tells you how to develop the bw negative film into a bw slide film although I have yet to try it.

Also when you shoot slide then develope it c41 does it come out as a negative or a positive?

I accidentally stuffed a roll of Provia in a C41 session last week...the results are weird to say the least. Perfectly clear shots but very purple colors on the neg. I test scanned a couple but gave up after a couple - though Silverfast managed to bring colors back from weird to just 'not far off realistic', they seemed to have lost all sharpness...

Have never done it the other way round...good luck!

Avotius said:
I know people shoot slide film then develop it c41. I have never tried this, when I go back to china I will try it since it so much cheaper for me to get film and do it up there. Has anyone ever tried shooting color negative and developing it e6 slide? Or maybe even bw and developing it e6? You know...the other way around right?

Lucky bw film in china has a little thing in the inside of the box tells you how to develop the bw negative film into a bw slide film although I have yet to try it.

Also when you shoot slide then develope it c41 does it come out as a negative or a positive?

I just developed few rolls, I haven't done it for quite a long time, but it's quite easy it gives you denser negs without amber mask, so when scanning have to play with colour curves for while, negs usually have greenish tint, so you have to add some magenta. Negs are contrasty as slide films 1 stop over two under approximetly, you shouldn't overexposure them.
Negs developed in E6 that's different story, the problem is the amber mask so for me it was pointless to have positives with brownish tint.
When dev BW into slides you need regualr BW developer, bleacher, clarificating bath(sorry don't know proper name in english) and fixer, you can get ready kits from foma. The problem is it takes about 40 minutes per roll. First you have to develop the negative image, then you bleach it, expose negative to the light 100w bulb for 2 minutes per each side(neg should be immersed in water) than you clarify it (I am not sure if it's Cr2K solution or something else) develop the positive image you got when reexposing, stop it and fixit and you're done after 40-50 minutes but the images are really nice to have. You should do some extra search for recepits etc. goodluck

Avotius said:

Cross processing E6 in C41 developer will give you a negative rather than a positive, just as any C41 film processed in C41 chemistry will.

Back