Current sensors are so good: are fast lenses even necessary any more?

Who is Granger? And why should I bother when I’ve got an Ernst Haas book opened right under my nose?

I just went through 5 books and my brain is blown. And please note: not a single bokeh bait.

Basically, if there’s one thing in common to All the masterpieces my eyes have witnessed throughout the 5 books I have right before me, it would be “f8 and be there”. Only that.

- Harry Gruyaert
- Winogrand color
- Webb, suffering of light
- Harry Callaghan Color
- Ernst Haas New York in Color

Last edited:
Well now, are the shots good or not? I’m confused.

As snapshots, they’d all benefit of much more dof than tye silly olympic level bokeh they oresently exhibit. You seem to agree while not agreeing at the same time, or so I understand.

But more importantly, you seem to like to make a point to be contrary to all my posts, no matter tye topic:
To clarify, the shots I specified are uninteresting from the perspective of content. I feel that they would be less legible if they were sharp overall, so I feel that the photographers' decisions to throw the backgrounds out of focus were the correct decisions, which nevertheless does not make them "good".
As for being contrary, I have no agenda in that regard. I just call things as I see them.

Shooting at f/8.0 will not take your photography to the level of your idols. What might be the point here?
The point I tried to make with Granger was: This is how you do it and that's what it looks like, like it or not.
If you cannot figure out that he is using the highest shutter speed and lowest ISO of his camera, sorry.
I participate in these discussions to learn new things, not to win an argument.
We come from different worlds.

Back