Current State of Tokyo Labs for Film

v3cron

Well-known
Local time
2:17 AM
I'm going to Japan again next year when the border opens, and was wondering if there are still any labs in Tokyo developing film. I remember reading that Horiuchi stopped, but maybe National was still at it?

Is anyone there now that can verify what is still up and running, and if there are any custom b/w labs or rental darkrooms still operational? Color? Thanks.

CB, That is a good trip to anticipate. As far as labs....the day there are no more labs processing film in Tokyo would be the day film has truly died. You can google processing labs and get a list of them.
As far as rental darkrooms Bellamy at JHC could probably give you an update on the current state of affairs.

Best to ask John Sypal (TokyoCameraStyle blog on Instagram/Tumblr) since he is without doubt the best knowledgable foreign photographer in Tokyo with many connections, especially darkroom/gallery/shop related.

the day there are no more labs processing film in Tokyo would be the day film has truly died

All the big box shops process film... even my mom-n-pop shop on the corner process film, I am getting two day service at my local. I specify development only (b&w, color neg, or reversal) and all 135 format film cut to 6x strips as I scan my own. 120 format also not an issue. I have no experience with sheet film... except that I see it for sale... Yodobashi in Shinjuku is a good source for things film...

Back