Custom charges from Japan to UK

OP, try ebay.de, .fr, .it :) also many camera shops out there, if you dislike buying from individuals. no customs charges. I'd keep eye on LUF classifieds too, many Euro-region items sold there.
Found one on ebay DE. Thanks jarski! :D

Might be worth checking if you will still have to pay VAT if you're buy outside the UK - even if it's in europe.

VAT is payable within Europe but will normally be included in the price, if from a shop or business seller on Ebay. A private seller will not include VAT and it won't be charged by customs on an item entering the UK from another European Union country.

So no additional VAT or customs charges on goods bought or sold within Europe, generally speaking.

You must be bloody joking! Seriously?

That is theft! IF they carry on like that they'll end up killing online commerce. I suppose that must make your local retailers happy.
I disputed the charge without taking delivery. By the time they responded (four weeks later), the camera was on its way back to the seller.

Their response? "The item has been returned to seller, therefore we will not investigate this case further." Sometimes all one can do is laugh.

VAT is payable within Europe but will normally be included in the price, if from a shop or business seller on Ebay. A private seller will not include VAT and it won't be charged by customs on an item entering the UK from another European Union country.

So no additional VAT or customs charges on goods bought or sold within Europe, generally speaking.

This is one of those things that you need to check carefully. I've seen plenty of business sellers who list items without VAT (or the equivalent). It's not always obvious, though you should find out at payment time rather than being landed with a bill 3 weeks later like DHL do.

This is one of those things that you need to check carefully. I've seen plenty of business sellers who list items without VAT (or the equivalent). It's not always obvious, though you should find out at payment time rather than being landed with a bill 3 weeks later like DHL do.

As with everything "Always read the fine print" before committing to buy or just ask. :D

They shouldn't do this on eBay though. The auction price should always include VAT.

VAT is very variable - it's always worth challenging. For instance, I got charged VAT on a box of promo books and books, of course, aren't subject to VAT. I also got VAT on a camera being returned from Youxin - although I'm VAT-registered and can reclaim it, there was also the f&&8**n Parcelforce fee.

But you can go in to Parcelforce, say that you will pursue the VAT from Customs and Excise, and refuse to pay their handing fee (which otherwise won't be refunded). I've done it a couple of times, you just have to stand your ground and not feel bad about the inevitable huge queue behind you (who were, the last couple of occasions, supportive as it happens).

Back