Custom Nikon RFs

the_hunter

Established
Local time
8:40 PM
I see a lot of Leica customs, but not many Nikon RFs that are customized.
I decided to take matters into my own hands with a beat-up S3 I have by giving it a new snakeskin cover. What do you think? Does anyone else have a custom Nikon RF?

Attachments

• photo111343.jpg
    photo111343.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 0
Nice cover, but - poor snake. The cover of my RFs are well enough. But just for interest: how do you remove the old cover and what kind of glue did you use?
And - no, I dont have a custom Nikon RF :-(

Nice cover, but - poor snake. The cover of my RFs are well enough. But just for interest: how do you remove the old cover and what kind of glue did you use?
And - no, I dont have a custom Nikon RF :-(

The old Vulcanite was peeling off so it was easy to just pull it off. I cut out a pattern based on the old vulcanite and then used an epoxy to hold the new skin on. Epoxy is really not the best thing to use but I could not find a good glue.

Nikons never used vulcanite. The S3/SP/S4/F used a leather-like plastic that never stretches much and never gets "Zeiss-bumps.". Should last forever unless abused. The early Nikon I, M and S have leather coverings and they can get Zeiss bumps and deteriorate.

Nikons never used vulcanite. The S3/SP/S4/F used a leather-like plastic that never stretches much and never gets "Zeiss-bumps.". Should last forever unless abused. The early Nikon I, M and S have leather coverings and they can get Zeiss bumps and deteriorate.

Is there a leather available something close to replicate the original leather in Nikon I? I have a late model Nikon I that needs repair (all of original and almost all of synthetic leather subsequently replaced gone) and would like to bring it as close to its original shape as possible.

The leather on my Nikon S has survived the test of time. I wonder if you could buy a Nikon S and use the leather from it, then use the more modern stuff on the S.

The leather on my Nikon S has survived the test of time. I wonder if you could buy a Nikon S and use the leather from it, then use the more modern stuff on the S.

Thanks, I had actually thought of doing that but the the back of Nikon I have flat surface, whereas Nikon S has rectangular rims, hence the leather used in Nikon S does not cover the full area needed on the back of Nikon I....

Thanks, I had actually thought of doing that but the the back of Nikon I have flat surface, whereas Nikon S has rectangular rims, hence the leather used in Nikon S does not cover the full area needed on the back of Nikon I....

I just checked my Nikon M "No-Sync" (modified), and the back is different from the Nikon S. I need to put a picture of it up here- it was modified long ago to have an oversized rewind knob and a PC Sync added.

Nikon S2 (and up) leather has amazing durability. Ditto with Nicca Barnacks, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one with a deteriorated covering.

Back