Cutting down your collection: the hardest thing to do

I have duplicates of a lot of stuff that I'd like to move on, but I don't want to give it away and I will not be aggravated by eBay's nonsense. If there were a swap meet nearby, I'd load it all up (and probably come back with an equal amount of different stuff). Maybe I should make better use of the For Trade section here in the RFF classifieds; on the other hand, the market seems quite slow these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going through the process of selling several cameras right now. I don't like having a lot of cameras sitting around that I don't use. I have always thought of myself as a photographer and not a collector, but cameras do accumulate over 40 plus years and since becoming a member of RFF my total camera count has trippled. it's easy to get hooked on buying interesting cameras and RFF will add fuel to that fire. The count last summer was around 30. I have sold some and I am getting ready to part with about half of the cameras that I still have. I plan to cut my cameras down to 8 or 9 and I don't think that I can cut it any closer. I would to prefer to have maybe 3 or 4 cameras that I use, traveling light so to speak, but there are several cameras that I just can't part with for various reasons. I know myself well enough to know that a few new/old cameras or lenses will find there way to my home again. I think this is a never ending process. For now I am selling cameras. Jim

EDIT: 30 cameras - about 1/2 Accumulation & 1/2 Collection.

EDIT 2: It's been a few days and I have sold 2 cameras and another will go shortly. I started to prepare a couple of listings (photos and descriptions) on a couple of my Leicas and the anxiety is building. I am not sure if I can stick to my plan do downsize a lot. Jim

Last edited:
Talking about collections - I have this and that, but I don't count that cabinet of gear a collection. It's nothing complete, like all Olympus or Yashica rangefinders, or Spotmatics with Takumar lenses. How about others - do you buy what you need or want, or try to complete series?

I have duplicates of a lot of stuff that I'd like to move on, but I don't want to give it away and I will not be aggravated by eBay's nonsense. If there were a swap meet nearby, I'd load it all up (and probably come back with an equal amount of different stuff). Maybe I should make better use of the For Trade section here in the RFF classifieds; on the other hand, the market seems quite slow these days.

I recommend a "virtual swap meet" anywhere online unless you favor trading at RFF.

A couple of years ago I decided to get rid of my Voigtlander Vito B (3) and BR (1) collection. Faced with the usual dilemma, I eventually gifted the four cameras and accessories to the local girls school, where the art department still insists on a thorough grounding in film knowledge and processing. I was sorry to see them go, but the annual exhibition from the girls was impressive. Job done.

A couple of years ago I decided to get rid of my Voigtlander Vito B (3) and BR (1) collection. Faced with the usual dilemma, I eventually gifted the four cameras and accessories to the local girls school, where the art department still insists on a thorough grounding in film knowledge and processing. I was sorry to see them go, but the annual exhibition from the girls was impressive. Job done.

Sounds like "money well spent". :)

Talking about collections - I have this and that, but I don't count that cabinet of gear a collection. It's nothing complete, like all Olympus or Yashica rangefinders, or Spotmatics with Takumar lenses. How about others - do you buy what you need or want, or try to complete series?

For me, it's not about collecting the complete series, it's about buying stuff I wanted. I have some partial series but that is by coincidence and I don't feel compelled to fill in the gaps.

Last edited:
No, I've never felt compelled to have (at least) one of everything.

This is one of those threads with a sort of built-in propensity for going bad... in the sense here of tempting offers to buy or sell, which we'd like to keep in the Classifieds. Your discretion on this (like, what you might be giving up) would be appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Correction; you just bought yourself a Black Paint M4!! I shipped it EMS this morning, you'll have it in 3-5 days.

Bob

Hahahah thanks for clarifying that. It is going to be a project getting that one sorted out. I can't wait. I just hope there is someone who can hammer out a dented corner to perfection here in Hong Kong. We are lucky to have the services of a certain Mr. Lee Cho Tat of Panda Camera Repair fame but I'm not sure his skills extend that far...

I was up to about 50 cameras too a few years back.
Then I decided that I'd rather photograph than collecting, so I did a big 'cleansing' sale.

I'm much happier now.

I was up to about 50 cameras too a few years back.
Then I decided that I'd rather photograph than collecting, so I did a big 'cleansing' sale.

I'm much happier now.
Dear Will,

How does having lots of cameras stop you taking photographs? I lost count of how many I have, years ago, but I don't care, because quite a lot of them are bloody awful cameras as cameras, and I bought them for a particular article, or out of technical interest, or just because they look pretty. Some, I've never used, like the Ultra Fex Himalaya on my desk as I write this.

Many people say, 'Cameras are made to be used'. Yes, they were, once, but plenty were of limited usefulness decades ago and are even more limited now (the Ultra Fex takes 620, for example). Today, they may be just interesting curios. I must have well over 50 cameras, but it doesn´t make me particularly unhappy.

Cheers,

R.

I have but a small handful of items compared to the "collections" many members here describe.

I have never sold a camera in my life, not one.
(given away, yes, sold, no).

Two or three of the items I choose to keep, represent a keepsake of a relative no longer with us. (not worth money, but of the heart)(to be given to my daughter as i too pass on, probably to be junked wondering why i kept such a thing...oh well.)

I have never felt a driving urge to collect, but reading many members posts about joys of using "x" or "y" gear, makes it tough for me many times, ( i wait long enough, the thoughts of buying, passes)
nor do I think badly of others collecting, or buying/selling frequently, each is allowed to enjoy what they like.
( i can live vicariously, sure... thats it, i'll save some money and let you explain how nice it is to use gear "z") repeat enough, i'll convince myself.

My collection of about 50 cameras does not make me sad and doesn't keep me from making pictures. Just the opposite; having a selection of different cameras often motivates me to use one that I haven't used for a while. Variety is the spice of life. This is what works for me. YMMV

Last edited:
I personally find it harder to decide on which camera to get next, rather than to decide which will be sold to make place. I guess that keeping just one camera per format (4 in my case) helps ;)

Back