CV wides on a Leica CL?

W

Way

Has anyone used the CV 12, 15 or 21 lenses on the CL? Are there any issues with this combination or does it work fine? Along with my 40 rokkor, it seems like a small light setup!

Way said:
Has anyone used the CV 12, 15 or 21 lenses on the CL? Are there any issues with this combination or does it work fine? Along with my 40 rokkor, it seems like a small light setup!
I used a CV 21 with a Leica CL for some time and it was fine and was, as you say, very compact. I'm not familiar with the 12 and 15.

Gene

I think all the lenses you mentioned should work on the CL, as they do not protrude very much into the lens body. This would be the criteria, as the CL has the meter cell on the swing-away stalk. The 12 and the 15 are not RFDR coupled, just so you will know.

Thanks Gene! Did you like the CL/21 combo? I just viewed your Home Page and you sure do use a lot of different cameras! :D

phototone said:
I think all the lenses you mentioned should work on the CL, as they do not protrude very much into the lens body. This would be the criteria, as the CL has the meter cell on the swing-away stalk. The 12 and the 15 are not RFDR coupled, just so you will know.

Thanks! Just saw this on Gandy's site:
"Yep, the 12, 15 and 25 are quite usable on the M6, M5, CLE, CL* WITH TTL metering!!* Some users report adjusting the ASA due to the metering pattern, so check this out before you do critical shots."

So my question is answered. Thanks for help!

Way said:
Thanks Gene! Did you like the CL/21 combo? I just viewed your Home Page and you sure do use a lot of different cameras! :D

Err....while I have a CL and a 21, I have never shot photos with them together. I may do that today, who knows. I am going through a phase where I like to use my screw-thread Leica's, and the shots I have made with the CV 21 are on a Leica IIIc, and III. All the CV extra-wide angle lenses are LTM and would require an "M" adaptor (which I have some of) to work on "M" cameras.

phototone said:
Err....while I have a CL and a 21, I have never shot photos with them together. I may do that today, who knows. I am going through a phase where I like to use my screw-thread Leica's, and the shots I have made with the CV 21 are on a Leica IIIc, and III. All the CV extra-wide angle lenses are LTM and would require an "M" adaptor (which I have some of) to work on "M" cameras.

If you do try the CL/21 combo, I'd appreciate you posting your impressions on using them. Those "M" adapters a pretty pricey at $55! Oddly it has been the price of the adapters that has held me from purchasing any of the LTM lenses.

Way said:
I have to answer that in two ways:

1. Yes, I liked the combo because it was very compact and worked well
2. I didn't like the CV 21 because it was too wide for my taste. I now have a CV 25 and it feels 'just right'

I know -- I've been equipment promiscuous for the past few years -- as I work my way into retirement, I'm settling in on my 'keepers' :D

Gene

GeneW said:
I have to answer that in two ways:

1. Yes, I liked the combo because it was very compact and worked well
2. I didn't like the CV 21 because it was too wide for my taste. I now have a CV 25 and it feels 'just right'

I know -- I've been equipment promiscuous for the past few years -- as I work my way into retirement, I'm settling in on my 'keepers' :D

Gene

I've got two things to say to that:
1) How can you not like 21 compared to 25 ;)
2) I love that term "equipment promiscuous" - I'm going to be using it and paying royalties your way Gene :)

Cheers
Dave

dcsang said:
I've got two things to say to that:
1) How can you not like 21 compared to 25 ;)
2) I love that term "equipment promiscuous" - I'm going to be using it and paying royalties your way Gene :)
LOL! Well, the 21 was a really lovely lens, but I just couldn't get the hang of using it. I'm one of those people who finds 35mm pretty wide :D

Gene

Gene, I'm thinking about picking up the 25 (in Contax mount).. got any sample images for me to check out?

JoeFriday said:
Gene, I'm thinking about picking up the 25 (in Contax mount).. got any sample images for me to check out?
Brett, I've only had the lens a little while but I really like it. Here are some from my first tries:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=14995&cat=500&page=1

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=15009&size=medium&cat=500&page=1

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=15010&size=medium&cat=500&page=1

I'm finding the lens sharp and easy to use. It's been recommended to me that a square lens shade is a good idea with this lens and I'll probably get one.

Gene

nice shots! good contrast and color

I'm looking to do some architectural photos.. at first I was considering the 21, but I think that would get too crazy with convergence

JoeFriday said:
nice shots! good contrast and color

I'm looking to do some architectural photos.. at first I was considering the 21, but I think that would get too crazy with convergence
I suspect there are photographers here who could pull it off, but I'm with you! Will you be using a tripod and bubble levels? I have a hard time judging when I'm on a level when I'm hand holding a WA. Fortunately Photoshop offers some corrective features :D

Gene

it'll probably be mostly handheld.. I have a compact tripod that I could carry around, but I still expect my shots will be spontaneous.. that and the fact that I highly doubt I'd be able to set up a tripod in the middle of a city street at 4pm.. I'll be lucky if I can stop in the street for 15 seconds while I take some grab shots

and yes, I'm very familiar with PS's Transform>Perspective command :D

Back