'Daily Encounters' London

No, I haven't seen it. I don't live in Britain and hardly ever travel there.

But as I like the 'Pictures On A Page' (Harold Evans) book about press photography I thought I may buy the book for this exhibition.

ClaremontPhoto said:
No, I haven't seen it. I don't live in Britain and hardly ever travel there.

But as I like the 'Pictures On A Page' (Harold Evans) book about press photography I thought I may buy the book for this exhibition.

OK thanks, I thought you may be over on a visit.
I’m in London fairly frequently but it’s difficult for me to fit a gallery in, I just wondered if it was worth the effort

i went for it yesterday and didn't really think much of it. Its got some really good modern prints that really show off how good scanning and printing technology is today but in terms of content, it wasn't particularly evoking...

I saw it last Friday and thought it made a very good contrast with the "How We Are" exhibition at the Tate Britain:

http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/exhibitions/howweare/

The Tate show is excellent but I felt it leans towards photography as fine art, pursued by people with a lot of money and time following thier own interests.

That's not negative - just an observation - there are many many really beautiful and interesting pictures on show and it took me 2 hours to go around and I enjoyed it a lot.

The "Daily Encounters" show is more vibrant and immediate, filling in the parts of British life you won't see at the Tate. I found the drama of press pictures very refreshing after seeing "How We Are".

If you have a chance to go to the National Portrait Gallery, they do have a fabulous collection of photographic portraits. It's one of my favourite galleries.

Back