Damn, Dechert at RFF !

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
4:51 PM
In the 1970's and 80's Peter Dechert established himself as one of the best photographic historians with dozens of articles published in Shutterbug Magazine, as well as a series of books. One of his favorite subjects to write about, or use, is the half frame Olympus Pen F series.

Peter now graciously hosts one of the new RFF Coffee With the Experts Forums at http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100

Want an expert opinion about the Pen F/FT series? This guy is your man.

Your comments are welcome, but if you have questions of Peter, ask them in his forum.

Thanks
Stephen

Here's how to see Dechert's Pen F book

Here's how to see Dechert's Pen F book

Some of you may be interested in reading the monographs that I wrote for John Baird's Historical Camera Publications. They were issued in small printings, and his business was terminated by unrelated events in his life before he could get around to reprinting them. The titles were:
Canon Single Lens Reflex Cameras 1959-1991
Olympus Pen Single Lens Reflex Cameras - HERE IT IS -
The Contax Connection
The Contax S Camera Family
In addition, on the "SONGOFSNOW.COM" website you will find reprints of some of the articles I wrote for SHUTTERBUG and other outlets, under the general title I used during my many years of being a monthly contributor:
The Dekkam Files
The address for all these reissues is:
http://www.songofsnow.com/Peter-Dechert-Articles-s/156.htm
More, including brand-new musings, will be added as we go along: I'm working right now on a new monograph about the very early development of the Canon Hansa cameras.
Enjoy!
Peter

Peter, I always had a weak spot for "stylish" cameras, what can be seen on my virtual camera museum to some extend -- CANON P, ORIGINAL PENTAX, NIKON S2 to name some -- now you (means: your booklet) convinced me that I urgently "need" a Olympus PEN (F) series. That camera looks so great I cannot even decide if chrome or black looks better!

THANKS, Frank

Good Luck - maybe Santa can do something!

Good Luck - maybe Santa can do something!

Thank you, Frank -- Pen F-types in excellent condition are hard to find and have become so expensive that many folk would hesitate to use an example after buying it. And in black in decent shape, they're essentially unheard-of! I wish you all good luck!
Peter

Sonnar2 said:
Peter, I always had a weak spot for "stylish" cameras, what can be seen on my virtual camera museum to some extend -- CANON P, ORIGINAL PENTAX, NIKON S2 to name some -- now you (means: your booklet) convinced me that I urgently "need" a Olympus PEN (F) series. That camera looks so great I cannot even decide if chrome or black looks better!

THANKS, Frank

Out of Desperation for Pen F

Out of Desperation for Pen F

Thank you, Frank -- Pen F-types in excellent condition are hard to find and have become so expensive that many folk would hesitate to use an example after buying it. And in black in decent shape, they're essentially unheard-of! I wish you all good luck!
Peter

Check with schools, the back of the camera might have an arrow for the direction to hold it, but a reasonable number of schools actually had them to make film strips.

Forget about logic, our local , well, challenged, guys accumulated all the excess stuff from the schools and sold it in one spot, on a day not well announced, so only two guys showed, and they split a truck load of dry mount presses, with weights and irons, slide and strip film projectors, well, you get the idea, for $150. I know they had half frame Pen F's because I had spotted them at the BOE.

Some more organized schools have annual sales, and if they still have any "film strip" cameras, they will be looking to unload them.

I did get one that was engraved, but the price was low enough to be worth it for the parts. Why can't these guys ever engrave neatly, or on parts easy to replace? Now they use stickers. OTOH, good users.

Just a thought for those with a bit of time.

We lost track of the Leicas on the old microscopes at the university. May have been tossed.

For some reason Cleveland State had a dozen brand new glass lantern slide projectors that went for $1 each at auction.

I did snag a brand new film strip, with slide adapter, in a wooden box for $1, i do not suppose there is a film strip forum. :)

That might be a hoot.

Regards, John

Back