Darkness prevails.

Exactly this, and the un-named RF member I'm thinking of was recalcitrant and stubborn in his refusal to take advice. So it's best to let people do what they do and ignore them.
If I remember right... it was Flickr's fault.

(it wasn't)

Gamma and brightness are different, it’s possible that you have your monitor perfectly calibrated but with a low or high brightness setting which may alter the way the images look - try using displayCAL with your xrite and check the brightness during the measurement

I don’t know about the relative brightness of your monitor to your viewing situation, much of my critical work on a monitor calibrated to srgb 2.2 / and 120 nits which is not particularly bright and most of the photos on the site look great or have a clear artistic intention regarding brightness

typically when I’m trying to simulate paper for soft proofing I am at 90 nits, but that is what works for me in the relative brightness of my desk

Oh my 4 year old iphone which is automatically adjusting brightness against ambient light I never notice anything on rff forum particularly dark in a way that feels like an accident

I can only share my set up and opinion and this isn’t to say I think the whole world is perfect, i very often notice many washed out, dark and muddy photos on in Facebook photography groups all the time

Is it my aging eyes or the calibration of my two Macs or why do I find so many pictures here far too dark to see the subject, let alone spot shadow details?
Can anybody give me an explanation?
Not to name names, but some people here on RFF post scans of darkroom prints and to my eyes they certainly look too dark, with drowned shadow detail.

Gamma and brightness are different, it’s possible that you have your monitor perfectly calibrated but with a low or high brightness setting which may alter the way the images look - try using displayCAL with your xrite and check the brightness during the measurement
It is difficult to get DisplayCAL to work with MacOS Sonoma which I believe the OP says he uses.

I have given up trying to use it.

I don’t know about the relative brightness of your monitor to your viewing situation, much of my critical work on a monitor calibrated to srgb 2.2 / and 120 nits which is not particularly bright and most of the photos on the site look great or have a clear artistic intention regarding brightness

typically when I’m trying to simulate paper for soft proofing I am at 90 nits, but that is what works for me in the relative brightness of my desk

That’s why I asked. Gamma is very consistent, but some software calibration packages come with odd brightness settings as defaults and in any case you use different brightness for optimal viewing vs editing and profiling for printing.

Here's the calibrator and "About This Mac". I don't know what you are talking about, basta!

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 17.42.03.pngScreenshot 2024-04-12 at 18.00.14.png

Here's the calibrator and "About This Mac". I don't know what you are talking about, basta!

View attachment 4836056View attachment 4836059
If you are responding about DisplayCAL it was a freeware program that gives a lot of control over calibration settings. If you don't know what it is then forget about it because it won't work on Sonoma.

Just use the software that came with your i1 device.

If you are responding about DisplayCAL it was a freeware program that gives a lot of control over calibration settings. If you don't know what it is then forget about it because it won't work on Sonoma.

Just use the software that came with your i1 device.
That's what I did already. Didn't I say so?

I like dark moody shots, I got guff from a few people for that, maybe the photographer wanted that picture dark........

If it helps you figure it out I also experience some images on this forum as being too dark. The images the same person posts on flickr are dark as well. My thought is your eyes and monitor are fine.

If it helps you figure it out I also experience some images on this forum as being too dark. The images the same person posts on flickr are dark as well. My thought is your eyes and monitor are fine.
:cool: I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to name names, but some people here on RFF post scans of darkroom prints and to my eyes they certainly look too dark, with drowned shadow detail.

If we're thinking about the same posts, I see them as a mass of muddy grays, while other B&W postings have good shading, contrast, and dynamic range. I'm not seeing anything as "dark."

- Murray

Edit: I lied. I just saw a dark one.

Last edited:
What gamma and brightness are you calibrated to?

If you are calibrated to Mac standard gamma of 1.8, photos adjusted to PC gamma of 2.2 look really off. But usually they are too light and contrasty.

Apple switched to the standard 2.2 monitor gamma more than 20 years ago. Images should display the same on Macs and Windows computers.

Apple switched to the standard 2.2 monitor gamma more than 20 years ago. Images should display the same on Macs and Windows computers.
Yes, indeed. But the Mac default on a lot of third party calibration device software, including Eye-One and Profiler for the Eye-One device, is still Gamma 1.8. At least it was in December when I reinstalled those software on my new Mac.

Marty

Back