Darkroom Renovation Phase II Started

Nokton48

Mentor
Local time
8:19 PM
Darkroom Renovation Phase 2 No 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Starting with Phase 2 of this project. I have a contractor doing the work for me, I can input ideas and he runs with them and sometimes makes my ideas even better.

Adding new drainage, New inputs with two more sink units, my green Kreonite, and a 3D printed yellow plastic water factory containment unit, meant to hold two 55 gallon drums filled with oil or chemicals. Installing a drain and putting my 16x20 fibre print washer in there.

A lot of progress on this will happen today.

This area will be for film development, film and print washing and drying. To the right is the entrance to the Darkroom Phase I you can see here:

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167410&highlight=darkroom+renovation

Looking good but couldn't help noticing the outlet in the first picture. Shouldn't that be a GFI outlet since it's near water?

No need to get hurt in the darkroom!

Hi Saul,

Yes our electrician is going to re-do the wiring to both rooms with CFI (on that wall re-doing the outlets; I want as many as possible), as well as adding additional enhancements.

Looking good but couldn't help noticing the outlet in the first picture. Shouldn't that be a GFI outlet since it's near water?

No need to get hurt in the darkroom!

Saul's right-those need to be GFI outlets as per National Electrical Code.

If you want them, I have some bought for an aborted project-they're beige but, sealed in the package. Yours for the shipping, Dan!

Darkroom Renovation Phase 2 No 4 by Nokton48, on Flickr

The Kreonite Green Plate Washing Sink, and the Yellow 55 gallon drum Water Containment unit are now completely hooked up, as you can see the water is finally running. The yellow sink will hold my Calumet 16x20 Archival Fibre Print Washer. The electrician will come in after we are done with all the plumbing and carpentry.

Tomorrrow my Guy will finish the carpentry on the two new sinks, and start on building a base for my 5x7 Omega E3 Enlarger, with multiple store shelves under the unit. And hook up the odor removal system which will vent chemical odors from the other side (that's in the room with the enlargers and print developing sink).

I love it when a plan starts to come together.

Darkroom Renovation Phase 2 No 5 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here's how it looks as of end of yesterday. Not done but getting closer, sinks finished being roughed in, shelves underneath. Backstop behind the yellow sink to store things and keep things from falling behind. Today I'll place my 16x20 Calumet Archival Print Washer and fire it up to check water flows.

Also my Electrician came in and installed three CFI double outlet sets, so now I have twelve plugs in this area all CFI. Also a new 150 CFM celing fan was installed to pull odors from the darkroom trays in the other room. Hope to hook that up today; We will see.......

Wire shelves should be attached to concrete block rear wall. So we are getting there slowly.

Darkroom Renovation Phase 2 No 6 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Also my Contractor built this Omega Automega E3 5x7 Enlarging table to my design and specs. This is similar to the Omega E3/E4 tables that I have seen on the internet. I am pleased, also note the storage underneath :)

Also note Mr. Al Kaplan looks down from above and hopefully approves.............. I really miss talking to Al.

Thanks Mike!

This has been an ongoing project/labor of love for me. Costs have always been a big concern.

With the current conditions (worst yet to come) it is prudent for us to hunker down here and I'm ready for this to be my ongoing daily creative playpen. Hopefully it will keep me occupied.

Stay safe and stay well everybody. I do appreciate comments. :)

I wish -- no space in my house until the kiddos leave the house (many years from now), and then I can redesign their bath room :)

Until then it's the local community college (which currently is closed, of course)

Darkroom Renovation Phase 2 No 10 by Nokton48, on Flickr

The adjoining printing room has been completed for about six months.

Two new big changes; Ventilation above trays now hooked up (added a new 1500 CFM ceiling fan to pull odors), and in the sink, I am setting up a Kodak 8x10 3 1/2 gallon hard rubber 3F basket line. A deep tank for developer, one for stop, one for fixer, and a Kodak 8x10 3F Wash tank. Want to install additional bracing directly under all four tanks (not filled yet).

On the right side of the sink, is my setup for 8x10 RC paper developing and washing. Hang everything on clothespins in the other room.

Back